Anybody ever found 1844 seated dime?

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
That's a good question. There have been some scarce coins found and posted here this year, so there is a chance one will show up someday. The 1844 dimes or half dimes were called "Orphan Annie" for some reason. I'd like to know how they got that nickname as well.
Best of Luck,
Phil

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an 1843? My only seated. Close but no cigar.

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an 1844 seated dime in a tear out several years ago. Unfortunately it was well worn and probably would have only graded good. It was the second scarcest coin I have ever found. The scarcest was an 1880 shield nickel. I think the mintage on that was around 19,000. Again, it was so worn that it would only grade as good at best. Two rather scarce coins...and I'm still trying to find that elusive 1877 IHP that has a mintage several times of the two I've listed.

PBS

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1844Dime.jpg Cryer.jpg
Said coins.

PBS

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds on both those coins. Turned in all my library books today and really enjoyed reading about these coins. They were listed as orpah annie and there were quite a few reasons they were rare, but none of those were proved including robbery and other natural disasters.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never dug one but If I recall ,in W&E treasures Mag (or one similar) that a guy found one 'in decent shape too'
but as my memory is getting worse, It might have been a rare CC minted dime.
Anyhow It was worthy of a magazine article.

Still got all those old NS,Traders, W&E , Treasure ,GOLD! Magazines put up cool looking back & seeing all the Awesome Coins & relics Folk pulled from the Ground in the 70's - 90's.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rarest coin I've found is an 1856 half cent (mintage: 40,430.) I dug it last month. Sadly it was beat up by a lawn mower or other disfiguring machine that whacked the rims around. The underlying details were nice though.

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Yes... found one several yrs ago... search orphan annie, 1844 dime on this sight.... it made the banner. So far it's my find of a lifetime....

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Michellets posted the 1844 Orphan Annie dime May 2nd, 2008. You ought to take a look. They don't come out of the ground much nicer. That was indeed a "Banner" coin. (Do you still have it?)
Thanks for starting this thread fongu.
Good Luck,
Phil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions