what is a pipe doing sticking out of the ground like this?

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was out in the woods on some old farm land. The pipe was sticking into the ground and probably went down a long way. It had threads on the top like something screwed onto it. It was about an inch in diameter. It was next to an embankment. What would have gone here?:dontknow:???
101_0761.JPG 101_0762.JPG

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A corner marker... Pipes, axles, you name it, metal of many kinds are used to mark the corners or sections of properties. I have 6 here on my property.

Last edited:

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oil for heat. There is probably a large holding tank underground.

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Kevlardini, try this on for size. IF you have a GPS, get the coordinates. Go to the county GIS (A geographic information system) then see where the tube is on the property. It MAY be a property marker OR even a Benchmark marker. It MAY even be the last remnants of an out building. Who knows!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well pipe ?
OR marker.

If it goes really deep... I would lean toward a well pump pipe ?

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Our elderly neighbor fell off a step ladder (while picking peaches, mmmm) and landed on a pipe like that. I'll spare you the details, but he was OK after the doctors took care of him, amazingly. Lived to be 96. I suggest pulling out pipes like that when you see them!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Oil for heat. There is probably a large holding tank underground.

1" diameter pipe is too small for an underground tank. You would be pumping for hours trying to get the fuel into the tank.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some artesian wells in our area have pipes sticking out of them but most have water running out of them

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Tie a lead weight onto a ball of kite string and see how far down it goes.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take kids out there on Halloween and tell them its the air pipe for a pit full of vampires or something and you will never have anyone on your hunt site again....and you will have started a local legend..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Granny would drive pipes or rods into the ground to chain her cow to graze in a specific area.

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
might be a old house site in the days before electric power people used picture pumps to get water. I found one here and it was a house site square nails and all.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reed is probably right, corner marker. I have them like that here. Even a pine knot painted red that has been drove into the ground...d2

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a pipe to an old still... kidding. I was driving my ATV years ago up and down of the ridges around me here in TN. I found an old pipe lying on top of the ground about 60-70 ft. from Hwy 50's edge. I got off the ATV and followed it into the wooded hollow. It went about another 200 ft. and I found an old small building. Not more than 4'-5' high and maybe 6' x 8'. But it was sunk into the ground about 2 ft. also. The building was made out of old cinder block, wooden roof and floor. The pipe I followed went into the building and just ended. But, another pipe went down into the ground into an artesian well. There's no other buildings around at all or any homes close at all. I just figured it was an old still from back in the day and they used the pipe to fill containers near the road and then left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread