Anybody ever look for, or find a "magic" half??

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy CRH's, I have never coin roll hunted, but certainly check all my coins before spending them, or rolling them up for deposit. I enjoy reading all the CRH posts here, and am curious to see if you all know about the "magic" half's, or have ever found any while CRHing?

For those of you not familiar with them, there is a "magic" trick that uses a precisely re-machined American half dollar, a Kennedy, if I remember correctly. It looks just like a normal half dollar, and may actually be one, but I am not sure? It separates just inside the rim on one side, and splits into two thinner "halves". On one piece you will have the complete obverse of the coin, and on the other face it will just be a recessed, smooth and flat machined surface. The other piece will have the complete reverse of the coin on one side, but the other face will be stamped or pressed to look like a copper Peso, (at least the one I owned was stamped as a Peso).
The way the trick worked, or at least the way I would do it, was during poker games with friends. I would have a real Kennedy half and a real Peso, and at some point casually have them out on the table, or try to offer up the real Peso in the game, so that the other folks could handle them and see nothing suspicious with them.
Then later would have the trick half dollar separated and in one hand, with the Kennedy obverse, and Peso sides showing to my friends and make some comment such as "Peso's are worth nothing and the Kennedy's can eat them up". Moving the two halves of the trick coin back and forth across each other, and letting them click together to reinforce that they are metal and real, but always with the Kennedy face and Peso faces towards your friends, you can at any point just click the Peso face back into the smooth machined recess of the Kennedy face, at which point it "magically" becomes a solid half dollar again, with a true Kennedy obverse and reverse. You can then hand the single coin to your friends for inspection, and no one has ever caught on.
The reason I ask if you have ever found one, is that I think mine got inadvertently slipped back into circulation. They are hard to spot in a casual look with your eyes, but can often be discerned by dropping them onto a hard surface and hearing a not quite solid sound, especially once they have been used a lot and start to get worn. When new they come with an aluminum ring that holds just the rim of the coin so that it can be separated for the trick by rapping it against a hard surface. You can probably find a new one at any magic shop for about $20. Just something else to be on the lookout for while CRHing. HH

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I found one a few months ago, and there have been many threads about them. If you do a quick search and type in magicians coins I'm sure you find some nice pics and info about them. I know they come in many different years and varieties of foreign coins on the machined side

OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Thanks Zomotion, I should have thought of doing a search before posting this.duhhh. Should have also known this is really old news for the CRH community. HH all

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I recently found one the other day. It is a 1994D and it has a heads and tails, though. Inside it has the coin is a 1966 20 centavos from mexico. Interesting. I had no desire to open mine even though I knew it was a fake one, but your post inspired me to.
HH
Buff

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a video I uploaded to Youtube. It's of a real double obverse silver Kennedy half I found when I first started CRH'n about 2 months ago! I showed it to a coin dealer and they offered me 5 bucks above silver price. I keep it cause its my lucky silver charm!

And here is pictures of my recent find of a Magic Peso/Ken half :laughing7: enjoy!
Magic coin (obv).JPG Magic coin (rev).JPG Magic coin (reversed 2).JPG Magic coin (reversed).JPG

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Thanks Zomotion, I should have thought of doing a search before posting this.duhhh. Should have also known this is really old news for the CRH community. HH all

No problem red. There's a new thread going on right now about a magicians coin on the main page. One thing I've learned here is that this forum has great info on all topics and the search engine has been really helpful.

Also learned that it's a pretty safe place to ask any questions and you should be able to get a couple good answers back or pieces of advice. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread