Anybody ever MDd a Holiday Inn or Howard Johnsons motel?

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody ever MD'd a Holiday Inn or Howard Johnsons motel?

I've been thinking about Holiday Inns and Howard Johnsons a lot.....and how they would probably be a good spot to metal detect--if you could find one that has been abandoned and not fenced off by corporate(or get permission). Has anybody ever MD'd one and found silver?
As a kid our family frequently stayed at Holiday Inns and Howard Johnsons. Back in the 70s they were ubiquitous along America's highways....don't seem to see them as much anymore. 7up.

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is that people feel they are not old enough to have good stuff. They would also need grass or dirt to lose things in, weren't they mostly concrete and asphalt... parking lots and such?

However, if you do not search the place, you will never know for sure!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mr. stayed in some hotel, when he was working in middle Florida coast, can't remember the name. I came up to visit and stay, the hotel had a volleyball court, so guess what..... :laughing7:
I broke out my Ace250, found a few coins and a silver anchor pendant. I didn't do their grass area, I didn't have a digging tool, only my scoop. Nothing to write home about, but something. If/when we are at hotels, I will do the playground and volleyball court areas, ya never know. :dontknow: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread