Anybody ever try detecting Bannermans Island ?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Ever since I bought a reprint of an early 1900s Bannermans catalog at a gun show many years ago I've dreamed of poking around there. Is it even possible ? Have any of the members here ever attempted it ? What I'm reading is that it's nearly impossible to land a boat due to currents & underwater hazards and if you could the island is covered with poison ivy & deer ticks. I tried doing a search on here and was amazed to find nothing mentioned. This guy started his military surplus business in 1865 at the end of the Civil War and it stayed in business for slightly over 100 years. It's been said he bought 90% of the weapons used in the Spanish/ American War at the end of the war and that a large percentage of the cannons displayed on the lawns of Veteran organizations, town squares, etc came from his warehouses. At one point he had 90 TONS of explosives & ordnance stored on the island. This place was full of the stuff we dream about. In the catalog I have at home there are cases upon cases of Civil War vintage buckles, plates, guns, swords, even complete uniforms for sale cheap and it's one of the best references I've ever found for identifying antique military stuff. The reprints of several of their catalogs are still available from a variety of sources online. http://www.hudsonriver.com/bannerman-island

DirtSurgeon

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2011
Hello, I have lived in the area pretty much my whole life. From what I hear, the island is heavily monitored and patrolled. You will be arrested if you get caught there. They used to give tours of the island but I don't think they do anymore. I do agree though, that it would be an awesome place to detect.

DS

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it would even be possible. The old Dixie gun works catalog had a story of a trip to the island toward the end when they were trying to salvage anything left. Apparently there were just heaps of stuff rotting all over the place, as well as random piles of live ordinance. It kind of sounds like trying to detect in a junkyard. I am sure the story is still on the internet somewhere if you want to search for it. There are even youtube videos of the place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread