Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button Flat Camp Cameron (2).JPG Button Flat Camp Cameron (3).JPG
Button 1

Button Flat Extra Color Camp Cameron (2).JPG Button Flat Extra Color Camp Cameron.JPG
Button 2

Button Jackson Grape Pattern 1827 1838 Front.JPG Button Jackson Grape Pattern 1827 - 1838  Back.JPG
Button 3

Ive Dated These to the 1820-30's but I Was hoping somebody has found these buttons in better condition, it would be great to see a picture of a better example with clear back marks or if somebody could tell me who the maker was

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Older The Better wrote:
> Anybody Found any Buttons Like These?
> Ive Dated These to the 1820-30's but I Was hoping somebody has found these buttons in better condition, it would be great to see a picture of a better example with clear back marks or if somebody could tell me who the maker was.

Your button #1 is a solid-cast brass 1-piece button, with no "read-able" backmark, so there's no way to know who manufactured it. All I can tell you is, being a solid-cast brass 1-piece with a "floral" emblem, it was most likely made sometime between the very late 1700s and about 1835. After that time, solid-cast buttons fell out of favor due to the advent of much easier-to-manufacture (and thus, cheaper) stamped brass 2-piece buttons. The statistical odds favor it being made in Britain rather than in the US.

Your button #2, having a backmark with the British-English spelling of the word "colour" means it was made in Britain. Having a backmark containing indented (not raised) lettering, AND a British-English word indicates it it was made sometime between about 1810 and 1825. Because its backmark says only "Extra Quality" with no maker/dealer's name or even initials, there's no way for us to know who manufactured it. Therefore all I can tell you is the country it was made in and when it was made.

Your button #3 LOOKS LIKE what is called a Jacksonian button... which is a flat 1-piece stamped brass button that has a separately made (and applied) brass ring encircling the rim of its 1-piece brass body. I emphasized "looks like" in all-caps because in actuality it is not a Jacksonian button. The fact that it has a an all-brass front and an iron back proves it is actually a 2-piece button, instead of just a 1-piece brass disc with an applied brass rim-ring. It is a very rare variation... an "imitation" Jacksonian button. I'd say it dates from the middle-1830s or a little bit later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your button #1 is a solid-cast brass 1-piece button, with no "read-able" backmark, so there's no way to know who manufactured it. All I can tell you is, being a solid-cast brass 1-piece with a "floral" emblem, it was most likely made sometime between the very late 1700s and about 1835. After that time, solid-cast buttons fell out of favor due to the advent of much easier-to-manufacture (and thus, cheaper) stamped brass 2-piece buttons. The statistical odds favor it being made in Britain rather than in the US.

Your button #2, having a backmark with the British-English spelling of the word "colour" means it was made in Britain. Having a backmark containing indented (not raised) lettering, AND a British-English word indicates it it was made sometime between about 1810 and 1825. Because its backmark says only "Extra Quality" with no maker/dealer's name or even initials, there's no way for us to know who manufactured it. Therefore all I can tell you is the country it was made in and when it was made.

Your button #3 LOOKS LIKE what is called a Jacksonian button... which is a flat 1-piece stamped brass button that has a separately made (and applied) brass ring encircling the rim of its 1-piece brass body. I emphasized "looks like" in all-caps because in actuality it is not a Jacksonian button. The fact that it has a an all-brass front and an iron back proves it is actually a 2-piece button, instead of just a 1-piece brass disc with an applied brass rim-ring. It is a very rare variation... an "imitation" Jacksonian button. I'd say it dates from the middle-1830s or a little bit later.

You never cease to amaze us with the amount knowledge you possess my friend. :notworthy:

I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night! :laughing7:

Dave

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never cease to amaze us with the amount knowledge you possess my friend. :notworthy:

I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night! :laughing7:

Dave

So true, amaze might be an understatement. He himself may be a "Banner Find" on T-Net. I'm just saying....

Upvote 0

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the old buttons. Treasure Net has many knowledgeable people and TheCannonballGuy is right up there with the best of em.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic info cannonball guy thank you, I know two of mine are too far gone to read the back mark I was hoping someone had found one in better condition where the back mark was clear. I’m trying to get every scrap of info on my site that I can. I’m fairly certain these buttons wound up in native hands but it would be great to know where they were coming from

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread