Anybody get trouble with a Sampson digger?

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Minelab X-terra 705 dual pack
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would never take that big shovel to a school or a park...your asking for trouble..for yourself and others !!
Gary

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not really that big..and the shovel part is just a bit bigger then my lesche...but i hear and respect what you're saying. Anybody been kicked out with one?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not take it into a park or school. The digger portion is not much bigger but that handle just screams out i am digging holes! A digger of that type has its time and place.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally hunt home sites and the VAST majority are abandoned or no longer have a standing structure so I use a shovel. It has been years since I really hunted a school that was still in operation or a park. I just got a Sampson T a few weeks ago and can make as clean a hole with it as a true hand tool, but agree 100% it would be asking for trouble. Without a long story as to why, I used it in a yard and was able to keep holes neat as a pin though. :happy3:

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I'll still be getting on my knees allot =). I definitely don't want negative attention to myself or this hobby. I appreciate all the info.
Has anybody ever actually taken one in a park that is willing to speak up? I would appreciate more thoughts on this.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself was using a garret edge digger,then the hand lesche trowel & I just wanted more so out on a whim I chose the 18" samson the digger buisiness end just as big as the 31" the 40's etc & then bought a bomb sheath for it hangs right off my ccw belt like it wasnt there & being able to put it in a sheath draws alot less attention im 6'1 & 210 I got no problem steppin on it to start cutting a plug its,now my main go to digger

ForumRunner_20131008_164057.png

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm starting to regret my 31" decision as i hunt mainly parks and schools...i was so excited about it too...i guess i was figuring that people just seeing a metal detector assume you're digging so why would the tool matter.. I was thinking that my neat plugs would speak for themselves but i guess i was wrong. I feel it may sit in my trunk until i expand my sites to private property or the woods ...Damn i was really looking forward to straying off my knees as much..oh well..$65 mistake.
Thanks for all the input.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary (G A P Metal) turned me on to Treasure Wise tools which I really like better than my Lesche. The T-12 with its V shape is good for deeper holes and 3in1 digger which comes with a nice leather sheath are all I need to dig shallow targets. Thanks Gary http://bit.ly/1e70mLk

Last edited:
OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no problems with my standard lesche, i actually really like it and can dig a deep hole quickly with it...i was just trying to limit the knee time.. Thanks for the info tho..if I'm ever in need of a new hand digger id try treasure wise..the price is right.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you in the knee time. It's nice to use the Sampson to just pop out a target without squatting down. I use it anytime I feel I can get away with carrying it and not around a bunch of gawkers.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure Wise Tools are produced by Outdoor Outfitters they supply metal detectors to some of our Supporting Venders here on Tnet...so some of Our own can sell them to you just ask them.
I used to sell them in the 90s and sold Lesche too Both have a life time Warranty ...only Treasure Wise are 1/3 less money..." etched on the back or front,,,sold far more of TW than Lesche.
TW T8",T10",T12" T14" never seen 1 bent or broken.
I`m still using my for 20 years Picture 29.jpg Picture 38.jpg Picture 39.jpg
I use a Lesche LS 38" T handled Land Shark in the wood and fields Picture 103.jpg
Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the great info Gary

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am spoiled on using my Sampson, but I started to use the ball handle instead of the T-handle because I can more easily use it one hand and it doesn't quit "scream" as much. I still keep the T-handle because I have people who normally don't detect go with me on occasion and I let them use it.

I am not too crazy about the Lesche and I have been using one for almost a year. I just ordered a Wilcox digger and I think that the V-shape would be better suited for moving dirt versus the Lesche. I have a Gator Digger sold by Kellyco and I don't like it, but I have it on hand for people to borrow.

I am considering getting an 18" Sampson because it is more discrete.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TMac i actually have the 40" lesche ground shark and I'm with you on the bending problem. All tho I'm young I've already had 3 knee surgeries and a herniated disc in my back. I chose this digger to keep me off the ground and i do use this at a local park (doubles as a cane haha) and have run into the park workers several times. They do not mind or bother me, just introduce yourself first and ask if they mind if you use it and promise to be respectful and fill your holes back in. I even gave them a demo and they had no problem. It doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TMac i actually have the 40" lesche ground shark and I'm with you on the bending problem. All tho I'm young I've already had 3 knee surgeries and a herniated disc in my back. I chose this digger to keep me off the ground and i do use this at a local park (doubles as a cane haha) and have run into the park workers several times. They do not mind or bother me, just introduce yourself first and ask if they mind if you use it and promise to be respectful and fill your holes back in. I even gave them a demo and they had no problem. It doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Good advice, and something i will try in the future. Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread