Anybody have a snake strike the coil?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One year when i was in Mississippi detecting i stepped on a rattlesnake he was around a sugarcane stalk and trying to get me . I should have saved his SKIN !!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several times! Rattlesnakes on Rich Hill, in Arizona.

Attachments

• Rattlesnake 019.jpg
    Rattlesnake 019.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Rattlesnake 020.jpg
    Rattlesnake 020.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 54
  • Rattlesnake 021.jpg
    Rattlesnake 021.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 53
  • AGATRIPPhotos 051.jpg
    AGATRIPPhotos 051.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 66

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had one try to strike me. I have come across several and they all either stayed still or crawled away.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also me and my wife were riding our horses on a trail near Benezett pa. In front next to the trail was a small type bush. I was fairly close to the bush and my horse spooked. A rattler had struck at him and he jumped back. We were close to the snake I saw the snake draw back and slither away. While it it was going away it was rattling . It must have been sleeping under the bush. I remember jumping off my horse and looking for a strike mark but could not see one. The snake missed biting horse and I was scared for my horse but he was ok :)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pit vipers usually only strike at warm objects, they have temperature sensors. I could see them striking a coil in AZ like Terry says since a coil would be warm from the sun and outside temp. I have goaded a timber rattler with a detector, poked near him with the coil and he did not strike, this was in the woods and the coil was probably not warm enough. Of course snakes are snakes and one should never bet on what one or another might do.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a water moccasin strike towards my coil, I then pinned him down with the coil and dispatched him with my trusty digger. I normally don,t bother them but there was small children playing in the area near the lake. I did not put him in my finds bag though, he got his final resting place under a small mound near by. He read a 69 on my detector:)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With reflexes faster than any snake I've never had a problem

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a copperhead strike at my coil last weekend

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Was popped on the knee by a copperhead when I was 12. Didn't see it until after it bit me. I had on brand new jeans when jeans were really tough, was squatted down fixing the wire to our chicken yard and the jeans were tight to my knee = bullet proof :) Big patch of wet venom on my pants at the knee. My parents still took me to the emergency room. Had to get somekinda danged shot.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put my coil back into a gap in the rocks in SW OK one time right on top of a sleeping prairie rattler. He took off one way and I took off the other.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the Stanton, Rich Hill, LSD, area, we have Mojave Greens, or "Crotalus scutulatus." These rattlesnakes are pit vipers with a very bad attitude, the most venomous snake in the State. This was taken from 25' away so I wouldn't upset him!:laughing7:

Attachments

• GreenMojave.jpg
    GreenMojave.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 51

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to use my coil & put Pressure on the middle of a Snake before it struck the Coil , It apparently just wanted to be left alone.
No idea what it was. If I remember right it was Red, and maybe about a foot or so long. but it was many years ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm familiar with the Mojave Green. Venom attacks both nervous and blood systems. I was a contract field archaeologist locating and cataloging Prehistoric Native American petroglyphs in the Black Mountains north of Barstow back in 1978 and 1980. Also working as a field archaeologist in Ft. Irwin north of Barstow 1980-1. The times I saw the greens were impressive and I was aware a strike in a remote location could led to death or amputation. One time while driving up a wash we struck one by accident and I was surprised at the fight it put up despite being mortally wounded. In survey mode we walked off quadrants all day so came upon many rattlesnakes. During winter in the high desert the snakes not burrowing would be so sluggish in the low temps you could walk up to them and observe them closely. I found sidewinders to be pretty high octane and would let you know they were there, wrapping around the base of a creosote bush and rattling loudly. Nowadays my problem is with ticks. Scariest snakes I ever had to contend with with the green and black mambas of East Africa were I lived for a year and a half. When moving through the tree canopy above you quite intimidating. The idea of walking up on a viper pretty frightening too. Worth having a hunting dog lead the way. In the Chalbi desert of northern Kenya I was driving a Land Rover in the bush and looked over to my side to see a large King Cobra cruising at the same speed with its head feet off of the desert floor. Still have that image clear in my head!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread