cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bid on an item from a chinese seller. I was the first to bid (with 3 hours to go) at .29¢ then over the next two hours there were 8 more bids driving the price up to $1.01

It wasn't the final cost that I am wondering about, it was the bidders. They all had this as their bidder name:

private listing - bidders' identities protected

never heard of that. I have seen where the auction description is hidden or the bidders name looks like: D***4 (233) but not this 3rd way of being hidden. This being a chinese merchant with 30803 in feedback I am sure he has a bunch of buddies bidding and driving up the price.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Private listing is an option. All sorts of things you don't want the world to see you buying like lingerie that your wife never got :D

Problem with that system is if they leave you feedback peeps can still see where you shop just not which item you purchased.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty messed up - like it or not, there should be a certain amount of transparency to bidding records.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
opening bid was 29 cents
couldn't pass that up.

I won 15 auctions this week from the same guy at one cent each (opening bid) the seller marked the order paid in full without even billing me. he saved money this way. with paypal it would be 15¢ + 30¢ fee

they were just startrek collector cards.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
opening bid was 29 cents
couldn't pass that up.

I won 15 auctions this week from the same guy at one cent each (opening bid) the seller marked the order paid in full without even billing me. he saved money this way. with paypal it would be 15¢ + 30¢ fee

they were just startrek collector cards.
Dollar Dan takes advantage of the Chinese .01 auctions w/free shipping!... I like it. :laughing7:

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
And the USPS takes the full brunt of the cost of delivery given reciprocity agreements. How many zero postage packages a year does USPS deliver for them, and how many are sent the other way? Given the USPS $5 Billion shortfall, I'd estimate about $5 Billion worth. We are subsidizing that cheap stuff undercutting our products. And they can get delivery confirmation and signature service here but we can't get it anywhere over seas. Kudos !

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the USPS takes the full brunt of the cost of delivery given reciprocity agreements. How many zero postage packages a year does USPS deliver for them, and how many are sent the other way? Given the USPS $5 Billion shortfall, I'd estimate about $5 Billion worth. We are subsidizing that cheap stuff undercutting our products. And they can get delivery confirmation and signature service here but we can't get it anywhere over seas. Kudos !
I hear you and completely agree. It's amazing that foreign countries (not just China either) can get a sig. con. on a $5 or less package they shipped to the U.S. Meanwhile that same package would probably cost us 10 times that rate for the same. Here is a good little read- The Postal Service is losing millions a year to help you buy cheap stuff from China - The Washington Post

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad the Post jumped on it, maybe it will finally get proper attention. I have been making this argument since about 2011. I have spoken face to face with USPS regional managers and they want nothing to do with it. I gave up when one said to the effect 'I just want to retire next year' (about a 50YO). USPS is one of the best paying/benefits jobs in the poor and rural areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread