anybody hunting louisville ky??????

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I used to live there when I was younger. Try Iroquois park, Cherokee park and if I remember correctly there is another old park called Central park. The first two are bigger parks with I think Cherokee being the biggest. They have a big fireworks display over the Ohio river for the 4th of July every year, so any parks near the river should produce some goodies. I hope that helps. I would love to get back there myself to do some detecting. HH.

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
I live in the area. There was an article in the Courier last year featuring a lady who detected Riverfront park after Thunder. Think she did pretty well. Anyone with any neat finds in or around the area? A lot of history here. Best one I heard of wasn't found with a detector. Older lady asked an acquaintance of mine to I.D. a coin which had been handed down through her family. After pouring through books and contacting local dealers finally contacted the U.S. mint. If I remember correctly it was gold and one side had a tree with 13 leaves on it.Initially he thought it was a brass token. The mint flew a couple of guys in. Turns out it was produced by a counterfeiter who worked for the mint early in nations history. The individual was executed and it was thought that all the coins were retrieved. The old lady was given a check on the spot for $900,000 +. She gave my acquaintance a new car for his efforts. How much truth there is to this I am not sure but makes for an interesting story.

V

Vingamel

I have family in Louisville, and we visit once or twice a year. Beautiful city.

There are lots of treasure legends around Louisville. Check out anything having to do with Prince Madoc. I bought a book about Prince Madoc while in KY, and there's some stuff about him at the Falls of the Ohio Museum. Get the book, if you can find it, because it's chock full of lost treasure stories. There was a story about Iroquois Park in the last edtion of National Geographic.

OP
OP
weldermark

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
thank's Vingamel i'll look it up and get a copy, if you come to Louisville and have time to hunt there's over a hundred old city park's here a bunch from the 1800's and a bunch more from the early 1900's
thank's again.

HH Mark

V

Vingamel

Oh, the article was actually about a dude who designed parks, and the Iroquois Park stuff was minimal. You'll find more with Google.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
G

Gabriel502ky

I am in Louisville, Ky. Just started. Got a metal detector to have something to do with the kids....and got hooked! It's like getting to go fishing and study history at the same time!

G

Gabriel502ky

Thanks jbot.

I was reading last night that you can't detect in Kentucky state parks. Does anyone know of someone who has or themselves been fined etc. in KY for detecting?

G

Gabriel502ky

Mark,

Thanks for the information. I was in Tom Sawyer at the playgrounds (sand...EASY TO DIG!) and then I read that State parks were taboo! Made me sort of paranoid!

Do you know of any documentation that says it's okay at places such as Seneca, Cherokee, or Central Parks in Louisville? I hope that isn't a ridiculous question. I realize they don't have any incentive to say everything that can be done, but rather focus more on what is unauthorized, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks,

Gabe

OP
OP
weldermark

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
Gabe,
detect on my friend,the parks you mentioned are a-ok to use,call metro parks at 456-8100 if you want to verify this,theres 14000+acres of parks,plus as you may know mayor Jerry's dream of surrounding all of Louisville in city parks is in full swing and don't forget the river front.

HH Mark

[email protected]

G

Gabriel502ky

Mark,

Thanks for clearing that up....great idea about the riverfront, too.

Later,

Gabe

A

AK in KY

Gabe

I have been to Cherokee park a few times. The last time I went I found a 1943 Walking Half. HH

AK in KY

A

absalon

Wow...more Kentuckians!

The more I dig around on this site the more MD'ers from Louisville (or close by) I run across. I live in Louisville and detect the parks quite a bit. I emailed the public relations director at the parks last year and was told that as long as I don't destroy park property, it's ok to hunt the parks. George Rogers is a good place to hunt. Also, Tyler Park is good.

If you get a chance, check out the conference on the 18th in Lexington. There will be a lot of hunters from the local area and it would be a crime to miss an opportunity to talk to a published detectorist (AnOldPro). You can find this under "general discussion" by state. Just visit the Kentucky link to find out more.

email or PM me to get together also to detect (after it warms up!)

absalon

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I've got an ACE250, but haven't had much luck. I know of an old amusement park site that I would think would produce mass amounts of goodies. Hopefully I can make the conference next Sunday..
Justin

A

absalon

I think I know which amusement park you are talking about. Is this Fountain's Ferry where Shawnee park is now?

Anyway, please contact AnOldPro to sign up in advance for the conference. You will need to let me know ASAP to get on the list.

Hope to see you there.

Scott

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Thanks for plugging the conference, Scott

Thought we ought to post that it was postponed due to bad weather to Sunday the 25th.

And.... we almost have a full house. Looks like we only have two seats left so anyone thinking about attending on this thread better contact me and make a reservation for one of those seats. We had 8 people sign up just yesterday so it is likely the last seats will be gone within another 48 hours.

Regards and happy hunting to all,

Dorian Cook

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread