Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Well I wouldn't say I am a big politician but I am on the City Council. I have been on the council for about 6 years now. I was first elected when I was 22. I enjoy it very much. Luckily the city I reside in only has a population of around 400 so we don't have alot going on. I like the fact that I can change or be a part of our towns history and hopefully change things for the better. I was always told throughout my life that don't gripe about things unless your willing to be in thier shoes. I decided to be in "thier" shoes.

Good luck on your political run. Take the good with the bad and focus on the task at hand.

Oklahunter

Jan 29, 2008
Choctaw, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Bullseye II
City Council here too. Been in since last April in a town of 12,000. LOVE the job. Very rewarding stuff!

R

robert roy

If anything I'm politically INCORRECT, but thats another story.

Tell me, what excatly do you do as a city council member. Do you get paid to do this?
What kind of back ground do you need to run. WHat kind of decisions does the concil make? Etc etc.

Regards
Robert R

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
robert roy said:
If anything I'm politically INCORRECT, but thats another story.

Tell me, what excatly do you do as a city council member. Do you get paid to do this?
What kind of back ground do you need to run. WHat kind of decisions does the concil make? Etc etc.

Regards
Robert R

As far as our city goes, we do not get paid. We meet once a month maybe more if needed. The things I have been a part of in the last 6 years are: we've constructed a new water system and we are about to furnish the city with its first sewer system.
Other tasks are determining tax rates for the city as well as the other rates for utilities. Its pretty much like a business except you have more people to take care of.
We rarely have gripes and most of the time when we do its settled pretty quickly.
I don't believe you need much of a background unless your running in a larger city. With our pop. at around 400 we sometimes don't have anyone run and we have empty spots.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Oklahunter said:
City Council here too. Been in since last April in a town of 12,000. LOVE the job. Very rewarding stuff!
Hard to believe, the last time I was living between Choctaw and Harrah it was only a wide place in the road. I loved it because it was country, good country. Reason it surprised me, it was not that long ago, 1952.
Oh, there was an old man over in Green Pastures that had a little store and some of the best BBQ in the world, He always grabbed me and set with me at a table with a rack of ribs and a quart bottle of beer and tell me stories, I think he was waiting for me to explode.
Never would let me pay. See what you missed? Gnewt

OP
OP
wildrider

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Our commissioners make $20k/year.

I'm currently on Planning and Zoning (9 members) that pays $100/month, but I would do it for free. It got me initiated in politics. Just now starting year 3 of 4 year term. We are a recommending body (to the city commissioners). Personally, I get tired of being the only one voting "no" and on things that should be voted "no".

So I'll try to get on as a commissioner, where I only have to work with the Mayor and 3 other commissioners. I'm more for homeowners rights than the business guys who think they should put business next to $250K homes.

Thanks for the replies. Keep it up if you want.

Oklahunter

Jan 29, 2008
Choctaw, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Bullseye II
gnewt said:
Oklahunter said:
Hard to believe, the last time I was living between Choctaw and Harrah it was only a wide place in the road. I loved it because it was country, good country. Reason it surprised me, it was not that long ago, 1952.
Oh, there was an old man over in Green Pastures that had a little store and some of the best BBQ in the world, He always grabbed me and set with me at a table with a rack of ribs and a quart bottle of beer and tell me stories, I think he was waiting for me to explode.
Never would let me pay. See what you missed? Gnewt

Neat stuff, Gnewt!! We're growing so fast that managing that growth takes up most of the council's time. Gotta keep Choctaw country. That's why people come here - that's why *I* came here.

Green Pastures...? I just found the reference and I see it's up NW of Spencer, west of Choctaw. Is that it? I'd never heard of it!

OH

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
OH, Yep, back then Green Pastures was a Black Area and I went there to do some chicken trading, I had too many. Anyhow made some more friends. Everyone was neighbors, 5 or 10 miles didn't make any difference. I have a daughter that was born there. Keep it country and most of all neighbors. Gnewt

PS. My house and ser sta was half way to Harrah next to the creek on 9 acres.
I went to the beautiful Sahara Desert from there. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread