Anybody know a good detector that is under $200?

geebtoke

Feb 28, 2013
Models is your choice I researched Four weeks and for every person that liked each metal detector there was someone who didn't really like it, up to the owner I guess everyone is different an comfortable with different things. As far as websites it seems From what I've read that 90% of people are fairly happy with kellyco.com it's the website I chose to use as well. Great prices and bundles, waiting for mine to arrive now I got the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. Came with a free pinpointed and other great freebies in the package. Good luck and happy hunting.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has the Ace 150 and Tesoro has one for about $175

jonnygood

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty hunter 1100 model is wat i use and love it.

George.°~° HAPPY HUNTING €°~°£ may the odds be ever in your favor ¡¿¥°~°£¿¡

blackcap diggers

Feb 28, 2013
Have you seen the knock off garrett ace 250, it is called a md3010ii. Ebay has them really dont know much about them but i would like to find out seeing hhow it is at least a hundred dollars cheaper than the garret. There is the treasure hunter xj9 that is around 175.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a good easy to use detector under $200? anybody have any sites or models they would prefer?

Tesoro!! You wont be dissapointed, its the only"real"metal detector for 200.00 n under.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen the knock off garrett ace 250, it is called a md3010ii. Ebay has them really dont know much about them but i would like to find out seeing hhow it is at least a hundred dollars cheaper than the garret. There is the treasure hunter xj9 that is around 175.

Treasure hunter is a chinese fisher knockoff...

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a Tesoro user and fan, I would vote for the Compadre'. Unless of course you are looking for bling vs. performance, then any thing else would be fine too:)

OP
OP
A

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the Bounty Hunter IV i don't really like it.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Bump up your price limit a few bucks and get an Ace 250, Tesoro silver Umax or the Fisher F2. Check out the used deals from some reputable dealers/people here

kwkstar

Aug 2, 2009
Ossian. IN
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 30
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab Xtera 30 with 2 coils and an extra shaft (standard and smaller coil) in great condition.

danrom

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2013
North Centra Texas
Detector(s) used
F-70
Tesoro Campadre
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre is a brilliant little machine for $160. The DISC on it is razor sharp with the 5.75" coil the depth isn't crazy deep but I have no problems finding any coin at 6"..sometimes a little deeper. I bought one for my daughters. You can take a dime, lay it in a hole 6" deep, put a rusty nail directly on top of the time, cover it up. Set the disc just above iron on the Compadre and it will beep on the dime. Dig up the dime, leave the nail and try it again on the same settings....nothing. My girls love it. Heck I use it sometimes instead of my Fisher F-70. Its super light. I think I might get one to keep in my work truck. PLUS...they are supposed to be coming out with the Compadre with the 8" coil very soon if not already. Just my thoughts. HH!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For about $219, get a Fisher F2. Fisher was the first to develop metal detectors since the 1930's. When detecting, it has a numbers scale and a chart explains what the numbers mean. Type up a copy of the chart, seal it with clear packing tape then tape it to the top of the detector. When you get a hit, and a number then a quick glance of the chart tells you what you have. Later for real trashy areas, get a 3 inch Sniper coil which is good for hunting around parking meters and tight spots that the big coil can't get into.
Good luck.

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a turn-on-and-go starter metal detector with a preset ground balance I would recommend the new White's Coinmaster retails for only $179.95 at your local White's dealer. I use the Coinmaster Pro that retails for $279.95.......RESULTS is the key.......picture of my results for yesterday with mine....the proof is in the pudding!!....GOOD LUCK.

Found Apr 13, 2013:... 3 Kennedy Clad Halfs, 67 clad quarters, 61 clad dimes, and 45 memorial pennies......Total 176 coins, total value $24.80.
002.JPG
Click on the image to enlarge picture......the dimes and cents are in stacks of 10pc. each......Thanks for Looking!!

Happy Hunting!!

Bill

P.S. Remember I have been doing this for over 42 years now.....If you are just starting, your results will be very different on a learning curve, and experience basis with any metal detector you pick....and ALL of the detectors mentioned above are good starting detectors.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread