anybody make privy probes.....the 3 to 5 variety?

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO

NCprivyDigger

Apr 8, 2010
North Carolina
Re: anybody make privy probes.....the 3' to 5' variety?

willisjj said:
I used to know a place where I could order them...but it's been too long and I can't remember what site that was. I know they are not real hard to make, but I would just as soon order one if possible.....

I was in your same place a few months back. After many dead weblinks, dead phone numbers and attempts to find someone to make a few probes for me I decided to make my own. While at Lowes Hardware purchasing the materials I needed, I happen to be informed buy sales person that they sell probes. WOW... LOWES HARDWARE sells probes! They were located in the plumbing/piping department. They were in a PVC pipe attached to the corner display. They are being sold and listed as sewer/pipe locator's. The have $12-3', $15-4' and $18-6' probes. The 3' probe has a welded steel ball on the tip. The 4' and 6' probes have threaded screw-on tips. At the time Lowes did not have replacement tips. But I have been using mine 4 months now and the tip is worn smooth compared to the rough machine cut that it started out as and still works just a good. I am in the process of waiting on a reply from an email I sent to Lowes Corp office asking if they plan to sell the replacement tips and if not could the put me in touch with the company making the probes to obtain tips from them directly.
But go out a check your local HARDWARE STORES..... ACE, TRUEVALUE, HOME DEPOT, LOWES, NORTHERN TOOL....ETC.
I got my probe from Lowes. Good Luck to You and Happy Hunting.
Bill

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Try google at a place called Shnatters I think in Francesville Indiana. Might have that spelling wrong but they will hook you up with a 6 foot spring steel and they have replacement tips too. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO

Super great! Thanks guys...can't believe Lowes sells em....gonna go check that out first...tomorrow! Sure appreciate it!

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

willisjj said:
Super great! Thanks guys...can't believe Lowes sells em....gonna go check that out first...tomorrow! Sure appreciate it!

Me either.
Newt

jaken

Aug 26, 2004
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue & Gray and MineLab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I build quality spring steel probes up to 5 feet long. New steel not recycled stuff. Email me [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread