Anybody remember redeeming silver certificates?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember taking a silver certificate to my bank back in the mid-1960's and exchanging it for a Peace dollar. I also remember that I only got to do it once again and then they would no longer do the exchanges. Does anybody else remember handing a bank teller a silver certificate and getting a silver dollar in exchange?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I also remember mid-60's, but you must remember anything prior to1965, all coin was silver 10,25,50 cents, all at 90% silver., so it really didn't matter.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just because I passed 70 doesn't mean I'm old!!!

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When I was in the Navy, around 1978, on board ship, I bought some stuff at the ships store with a twenty and the clerk was giving me change, as he counted it out on the counter and among the bills was a ten dollar silver certificate, , but before he handed me my change, some other loud mouth walked up and said “WOW, a silver certificate, haven’t seen on of those in years” at which point the clerk quickly yanked it back and replaced it with a normal ten dollar bill.
I just shook my head as I walked away. Surprised that the big mouth wasn’t an officer.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I remember that very well.
I worked in a bank and would take silver certificates into my coin store who would give me $1.50 in change for each SC.
It didn't last for long, but while it did, it was fun.
Don....

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I stood in line at the SF mint on the last day with a pocketful of silver certs, got 9 rough bars of about 100 oz each (vaguely recall)
my family had an entire branch of BofA saving silver certs for them for several years (on my advice)

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BillA: didn't know that the SF mint also produced paper money (silver certs), thought they were always printed at the Bureau of Printing & Engrav.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
BillA: didn't know that the SF mint also produced paper money (silver certs), thought they were always printed at the Bureau of Printing & Engrav.

I bought silver (metal) from the mint for silver certs (paper money). No idea where the certs were printed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread