Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smooth artifact..jpg smooth artifact b.jpg
I was scouting a new area and I found this literally in the same scoop with a scraper and a few flakes, its what I call river rock which I think is some kind of flint, normally I would toss this out but this was found on a hill with exclusively flakey angular sandstone.
With it being found among other artifacts and the only rock of its kind it makes me wonder if this wasn't some kind of tool... it also fits the ultra scientific test of ho does it feel in your hand if you hold it like a tool

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How it feels in your hand if you hold it like a tool is actually the opposite of a scientific test. It's a subjective call that actually proves nothing. I would agree that it's a rock, not an artifact.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you please show us the other artifacts you have found there? Because that piece there looks to be just a natural stone to me and two other very knowledgeable collectors so far and I believe others will say the same.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
contact the smithsonian

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything it could be a stone that was used to grind dust off to make paint pigment, we have some in our area that was used for that. Still not much more than rock and conversation piece but neat to have a few of them.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though my 2 cents worth is currently trading on the international monetary market for a Peso and a half, I can concur that I have never seen an artifact like that

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
what would its function be...how do you see it used. if you can answer these sorts of questions, it should tell you a lot

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry guys id really like to show you what I'm talking about but I get logged out of my account every time I try to load a pic then I'm told I don't have permission to post because I'm not logged in... been going on for over a month now and on rare occasion I can get through.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you using to log in with?

Sorry it is just a rock...

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scraper.jpg Possible tools.jpg matrix.jpg not like the other.jpg Smooth artifact..jpg Flakes.jpg
I think I may have solved the problem, so theres my scraper, the matrix a bunch of rough angular sandstone, a picture of possible tools, a pic of flakes, and the oddball smooth round stone in the matrix, I went back and sifted 3 5 gallon buckets and not a single other rock like it... also unfortunately only about 10 flakes which dampens my hopes of it being a site. so going back to my original post this smooth rock just doesn't fit and I was wondering if anybody knew of any similar tools

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that pink one is a hafted something, can't tell the size...the white ones look to be hand axes (if they are the size i think they are)...or scrapers or cores...again. can't tell...the original one is just a rock...no purpose. i think you do have some sort of site...keep poking around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread