Anybody using a F19 at the beach i nthe wet sand???

fishracepoint

Greenie
Apr 13, 2009
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 750, Equinox 800
Last year I was looking for a all-around detector for coin and beach up here in the North East and considered a CZ-3D.
I never got the chance to get one (work and stuff). Now I see they have a new detector out....F19
So I am back on the hunt for a newer one and was wondering how it fairs on the beach????

Has any lucky sole gotten the chance to try one out in the wet black sand?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought an F-19 but can't imagine it working in wet salt sand. At 19 kHz It will be killer in dry sand though for micro jewelry and fine gold that many true beach machines can't detect. May try it in the next few weeks to see what happens. I have only used it one time and really like the F-19 features and super target separation in heavy iron.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dual freq CZ-5, 6a or CZ-3D, CZ-21 will be a better choice for wet sand. I've had the 3-D and CZ-5 (still have) and can say they are great all around machines.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F19 only has one frequency so it will suffer in the wet sand.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F19 should ground balance to wet salty sand like the G2 and goldbug pro. My G2 is quiet in the wet salty sand but depth is only about 5-6 at most on a coin sized object. When the salinity levels are lower, depth is better, but as stated VLF single frequency machines take a major hit in wet salty sand.

OP
OP
F

fishracepoint

Greenie
Apr 13, 2009
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Thanks SouthFLdigger
I have been looking at the CZ-3D for a while now then the F19 came out. I actually love the dual freq concept but was looking for a more light weight modern detector
for both coin hunting inland and at the saltwater beaches. .
I was hoping they would repackaged the CZ into a modern light weight package similar to the F19. but so far I have not seen that. So then I thought maybe they can achieve
similar depth and discrimination with this modern single freq machine to work both for coin hunting inland and at the saltwater beach.
So basically I am looking to replace my old Garrett GTAx750 with somewhat of a all around detector that is much more capable.

Thanks for all the replies

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all detectors will ground balance DOWN to saltwater, but you lose depth and sensitivity. I thought you meant which one would perform the best in wet salty sand, that would still be dual freq CZ line.
I'm not sure what you meant by comparing in relic mode. I pretty much always run the CZ and F19 with 0 disc. My CZ will be back from fisher today and will do some comparisons.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SouthFLdigger
I have been looking at the CZ-3D for a while now then the F19 came out. I actually love the dual freq concept but was looking for a more light weight modern detector
for both coin hunting inland and at the saltwater beaches. .
I was hoping they would repackaged the CZ into a modern light weight package similar to the F19. but so far I have not seen that. So then I thought maybe they can achieve
similar depth and discrimination with this modern single freq machine to work both for coin hunting inland and at the saltwater beach.
So basically I am looking to replace my old Garrett GTAx750 with somewhat of a all around detector that is much more capable.

Thanks for all the replies

I would love to see the day when First Texas, makers of Fisher, Bounty Hunter and Teknetics redesigns the CZ-21 platform with modern solid state components, all digital in a lightweight package with the same performance, similar to the Teknetics type housing but more rugged. As a matter a fact such a detector in my opinion will be an ideal machine. I swing my CZ-20 for a max of 9 hours before i start to feel a bit sore on my shoulder, i lift weights 4 times a week its a heavy unit for swinging 9 hours. It does not even need a digital LCD display, ill settle for the 4 tones my CZ-20 provides. My CZ-20 discriminates quite well and goes 10-11" on a quarter in wet sand! On the beach depth is everything, followed by good discrimination. In the meantime the CZ-3D is ideal for the price and what it offers, unfortunately it is too heavy for many and the performance variation delta varies.

This is why one needs more than one detector period, and if one must settle for one then a jack of a trades and master of none will have to fill the niche. For example my G2 i use for small gold in parks where i suspect bottlecaps will not be a problem. My G2 loves bottle caps and even tilting the coil and raising it (tricks to determine if its a bottlecap) to avoid them i still get them on occasion. I do not use the G2 for beach sand anymore due to its affinity for medium sized metal (Fe) objects and bottlecaps. For the beach dry sand i now use the Gamma 6000 (dry) which is just an inch or 2 deeper than the G2. For the wet sand i only use my CZ-20 now. I always carry an ACE-150 and a Time Ranger V4 in my trunk just in case, these are cheap detectors that i don't mind losing but perform well, especially the Time Ranger it is just as deep as my Delta 4000 but slow to recover :-).

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fishracepoint

Greenie
Apr 13, 2009
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Almost all detectors will ground balance DOWN to saltwater, but you lose depth and sensitivity. I thought you meant which one would perform the best in wet salty sand, that would still be dual freq CZ line.
I'm not sure what you meant by comparing in relic mode. I pretty much always run the CZ and F19 with 0 disc. My CZ will be back from fisher today and will do some comparisons.

Hi Fletch88
Sorry would like to clarify....What I meant is the max depth the detector can get in ideal conditions. I think air tests are a good starting place for the comparison.
I ask because there are websites that have test results of metal detectors max depth based on quarter size coin target and I read the CZ gets about 9" deep and the F19 gets depths at 15"
I was wondering if those numbers sound right. I also realize there are multiple settings that enhance the detector's overall capability at the sacrifice of depth.

Thanks for all the responses,
Bob

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fletch88
Sorry would like to clarify....What I meant is the max depth the detector can get in ideal conditions. I think air tests are a good starting place for the comparison.
I ask because there are websites that have test results of metal detectors max depth based on quarter size coin target and I read the CZ gets about 9" deep and the F19 gets depths at 15"
I was wondering if those numbers sound right. I also realize there are multiple settings that enhance the detector's overall capability at the sacrifice of depth.

Thanks for all the responses,
Bob

Here are the air test results for my G2 which is very similar to F19 circuitry. (Sensitivity 100, disc 39), 11" DD coil, all metal is several inches deeper. These results were repeated for accuracy several times.

Penny-----11" soft but repeatable audio
Nickel------13" soft but repeatable
Quarter----10"
Dime-------10"
Gold ring small-medium----13"

In ground test in my test garden, ground phase 49-53, light mineralization. Coins have been buries for 2 months. I suspect the F19 is just as good or slightly deeper than the G2. 100 sens, 39 disc.

10" nickel--- repeatable soft audio VCO
9" Penny ---repeatable somewhat soft audio
7" Dime ---- repeatable
6" 4mm" lead sinker---repeatable

All the audio responses would definitely mean dig at these depth with the G2. In all metal all are quite a bit louder.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishracepoint, yes I use that site for comparison also, especially the reviews on different machines. I'm not sure how much faith I put in their depth indicator because they show a T2 at approx 10" and the F-75 at 15". These are basically the same machine except the T2 does not have backlight, notch or memory to save settings. They show an f-19 getting approx 14" on a quarter. I'm not sure I agree with that either, but I highly recommend the19 for coin, relics and dry sand beach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fishracepoint

Greenie
Apr 13, 2009
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys that's some good positive feedback. I think I can see a F19 in my future.
Happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread