Anybody using MP detectors? Need info

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44
Hi Guys,

I just searched through Kellyco's website and saw these MP detectors, looks good for the buck versus functionality,
I just never heared of them and want to know from people using these detectors what they are all about, any good?
Build, usage info ect will be highly appreciated.

I am looking to buy an MD for up to $300.00, that's my budget on the hobby for now, or would you recommend an intro
fisher F2, Bounty Hunter 505, Coinmaster Pro :dontknow:

thanks again

Devan

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an MP3 Pro I bought for my nephew to use on the beach when they were here visiting. Build quality is cheap. It uses a twist lock instead of cam on the lower shaft and is easy to break if you over tighten it. Depth was ok, but should have been better with a 10" coil. Discrimination actually worked very well. Pinpointing sucked. I see the MPX has a pinpoint button, so it might be better.

I paid about $100 for it used and got $85 for it on Ebay. If you are buying a new entry level detector there are many other better choices. For under $250 you can buy a Teknetics Delta 4000, Tesoro Silver umax or Ace 250.

OP
OP
devan

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44
HI GibH,

Thanks for the reply,

I would like to do beach hunting occasionally, so I was thinking about BH Pioneer 505 because it has Manual Ground Balance
versus the Delta 4000 with fixed ground balance, will this make a difference at the beach?

regards,

Devan

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi Devan,
This is just my opinion on the machines that you were interested in. I know nothing about the MP detectors, other than I will not buy one myself. I have 2 F2's and have loved them for their ease of use, decent depth, and light weight. The pinpointing of the F2 is to die for. People really put these machines down, but the reasons can be adapted to any entry level detector. I've been impressed with the Teknetics detectors as well. Been tempted to try a Gamma. Honestly I feel the Ace is overrated. You can add a Sunray probe and have a better choice of coils, but they do cost. On the BH, I'd pass. The Pioneer 505 does not have manual ground balance. If you can swing it, go for the F4 or the Gamma. The manual ground balance will help you tremendously wether you're in the sand or not. You'll have to stay out of the wet sand (salt water) with any of the machines mentioned. They go nuts, but you can turn down the sensitivity to help stabilize the machine. It comes down to how much falsing and chatter you can take.

OP
OP
devan

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44
Hi slowNsteady,

On kelly's website they have the specs as Manual & Auto Ground balance for the pioneer 505, is this correct :icon_scratch:
If not, I would prefer the Delta 4000, the Gamma is nice but $200 above my budget :(

Devan

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 505 has a ground balance. You put into all metal and push the ground trac button. I don't think it would really help on wet sand though. Any single frequency VLF is going to have trouble with wet sand at the beach. You can reduce the sensitivity and deal with a bit of chatter.

If you want something stable for wet sand at the beach, you're price is going to go up. You might be able to find a used Fisher CZ (5,6,6a) series for under $300 or a used Sovereign for around $300.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
devan,

Do yourself a favor and stick with the main brands! Joe

OP
OP
devan

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44
Hi Joe,

For $300, what Brandnames would you suggest that will either equal or better the BH Pioneer 505, I will
most definitely check all options available to me, thanks

Devan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe knows his stuff and is a dealer of Tesoro's.

By name brands Joe means Garrett, Fisher, Minelab, Tesoro and White's. We sold Bounty Hunters as kids toys, but in the hands of a well experienced user they do the job. They aren't any good in the wet saltwater sand however. All your Tesoro's have a Lifetime Warranty, but hardly nobody ever needs to use it.

Do yourself a favor and order from 4-H or Joe (USA)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread