Anyone been to this mine in the Sups?

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone been to this mine in the main part of sups? Not posting location but if ya had been there, u would know. Just wondering.. mine.PNG

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone been to this mine in the main part of sups? Not posting location but if ya had been there, u would know. Just wondering.. View attachment 1899430

Serious question here - have you been there? Any close up photos to show it's actually a mine and not just a depression, shadow or other feature not related to a mine?

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Serious question here - have you been there? Any close up photos to show it's actually a mine and not just a depression, shadow or other feature not related to a mine?

Nope not been there. But yes it's a mine. Can see the tailings. If it narrows it down it's south of weavers needle and north of miners needle. Found it looking for Wagner's gold location. This isn't it. Story said there were other prospect pits. I believe 8. I think I know where it is. Looks like the whole area was planted with trees at the same time. Almost like a circle and rows. Poss see where 2 pits are. The geology is right. For the area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be a nice day trip from the Dons camp. Wouldn't mind trip there and another place lil bit aways. Maybe down the road when I'm too old for where I go. Hense when question.of someone has been there without giving the location. Wouldn't wanta rain on someone's party

Last edited:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes: That is the old mine site on the South West side of Bluff Spring Mountain. First talked about in newspaper articles, March 27,1940, and later in Barry Storm's book, "Thunder Gods Gold." It's no secret. It can be viewed from the junction of the Terrapin Pass Trail and the Dutchman Trail. Lots of people have been there. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes: That is the old mine site on the South West side of Bluff Spring Mountain. First talked about in newspaper articles, March 27,1940, and later in Barry Storm's book, "Thunder Gods Gold." It's no secret. It can be viewed from the junction of the Terrapin Pass Trail and the Dutchman Trail. Lots of people have been there. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Thanks for the info. Greg - hope you're doing well these days :)

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool, Thanks Mr. Davis. I see things, I don't know about. Glad you recognized it. You are a plethora of knowledge. Any specifics abut the mine u could share?? What was found there, ect?? Thanks

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Doc, here's some of the info Greg was talking about:

Tucson Citizen 27 Mar 1940.JPG

View attachment Walker Mine Long Version.pdf : PDF with longer version of article.

Linesba Work.JPG

William Wallace Linesba dropped a shaft to intercept the tunnels. He didn't drop dead onsite like the paper says, or commit suicide like Burbridge said.
He died at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow of heart problems on 09 June 1941.

I remembered that Burbridge also wrote about this. He had some decent pics in his book. Here's Walt Upson from the article:

Walt-Upson-Bluff-Spr-Mines.jpg

And Burbridge:

Burbridge-Bluff-Srpings-Mines.jpg

Also, I know folks like to tool around on GE...keep a map of the area handy to compare with anything you see on GE. Here's the 1966 topo for the area:

Linesba Shafts.JPG

This shows the "Prospects".

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, here's some of the info Greg was talking about:

View attachment 1899935

View attachment 1899936 : PDF with longer version of article.

View attachment 1899937

William Wallace Linesba dropped a shaft to intercept the tunnels. He didn't drop dead onsite like the paper says, or commit suicide like Burbridge said.
He died at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow of heart problems on 09 June 1941.

I remembered that Burbridge also wrote about this. He had some decent pics in his book. Here's Walt Upson from the article:

View attachment 1899938

And Burbridge:

View attachment 1899940

Also, I know folks like to tool around on GE...keep a map of the area handy to compare with anything you see on GE. Here's the 1966 topo for the area:

View attachment 1899942

This shows the "Prospects".

Thanks, nice to learn about stuff i see out out there. Much appreciated. Sounded like a pretty rich mine if it the dump assayed out a couple hundo a ton back then!!

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
You're welcome, Doc. Just guessing, but I'm not inclined to believe the stuff sitting on the ground assayed that high...or that anything of real value was ever there. I've never looked into it tho, so I could be wrong. The value for me is in the history of the area...I think if it weren't for Greg, most of the things we talk about here might be lost to history.

And, you've got a heck of a good eye to be able to pick out that mineshaft on GE. Best of luck on your searches in the Supes!

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Greg is the best. They def would. Interesting history. Not what I'm looking for, u know my main objective. Can't wait to get to my cave, damn covid. Just something dif. I got way too much time on my hands at work, eyes are well trained.. Lol too funny..!! I miss stuff, go back and what I miss finally shows itself. lil something different to pass time. Was something I would of never figured what the significance was without those that have the knowledge and sharing the stories.

This impression has me intrigued. Lil offmy path in a very steep ravine. Has me wondering. Will try to look from above. Just so peculiar.
Screenshot_20210205-233015.png

Not to far away from this.
Screenshot_20210205-233637.png

Gets the wheels turning.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread