Anyone buying any silver today?

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went off track and bought me a 1/10 gold eagle but paid more than what Jim paid. O! Well I guess they call that Diversifying. LMAO Keep Stacking

Marchas, if you were close to Ohio I'd sell you some gold cheap! :)

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Decided to buy on the dip today and got a good deal on some 1964 Kennedy Rolls (18.5X face). As much as I prefer Franklins to Kennedys, you get a better deal with the Kennedys if you like maximum weight per coin. These fill up the plastic tubes right to the top like they are supposed to. With the Franklins you don't get that unless they're BU, and with Walkers you are missing what seems like close to a coin's worth of silver with 20 in a plastic roll.

I didn't remember that today was the big day we silver bugs were supposed to go out and buy silver until after I got it. I doubt there was much physical out there for all the people who went out to buy today. Everyone here is out of Eagles and silver bullion, except one store, and they have had some generic silver and Eagles during this whole time, but they are about out now. Their premiums on everything are far higher than anything else here and their buy price spreads have gotten huge. So if anyone wanted to buy here in any kind of volume they would be paying alot over spot. The other stores are still selling with a month or more delivery date at fairly decent premiums. I won't risk that and will only buy when I can leave with the metals in hand.

Jim

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a Monster box ASE sold at Sedwick auction today for $28.20 per coin....gold was lower, especially Double Eagles. Treasure coins are HOTTTTTTT!

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
18.5 X looks good...

Considering the high premiums it is a good deal for sure. But it is still about $2.50 over melt for junk silver, which is still alot to me based on past premiums. Halves are worth it though I guess. He had a bunch of dimes I looked at but all were fairly well circulated Mercurys and Rosies. The coin dealer was sending them all to the wholesaler and I got to pick what I wanted before it went out.

Jim

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17 X face is dealer bid around here...none coming in, good demand from the public at 19-20.5....

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
17 X face is dealer bid around here...none coming in, good demand from the public at 19-20.5....

That is a bit lower than what the local stores pay here. However, there are dealers across the country who are always placing orders for say a large amount of a certain type of coin and will pay local dealers a higher amount. For example, a short while back 90% silver halves were really in demand on the national dealer level I guess, because the local stores were paying quite a bit more for the halves as compared to quarters and dimes. The local coin dealers had no idea why the premiums on the halves were so high. That has disappeared for now at least here and they sell for the same as quarters and dimes again.

I know there is a website where a coin dealer can join after they are screened and such (have to provide references from others in the business, etc), then they can buy and sell with other dealers all across the country on the site. The general public can't access the site nor buy or sell on it.

Jim

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called coinnet....my first job for a coin dealer was watching printouts from a teletype in 1972

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I called one of my local stores (a larger one) this afternoon and the only silver bullion they had were a few of the US 5 oz rounds and they wanted $3 over spot for them. I am curious to see if these local stores can fill the orders in the next week or so as they get to the point delivery was promised back when silver tanked into the $22 zone. I still think there will be some unhappy buyers waiting for their metal. We'll have to wait and see.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread