Anyone collect GSA coins in hard or soft pack holders?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the years I have really liked the GSA hard pack holders with the Carson City Morgans. I have started to get the non-CC hard packs as well as well as the soft pack coins

There were only a little over 100,000 made of both and of the 100k, about 28,000 were hard packs, including a 1892 CC and 1893 CC. Based on numbers the packs are fairly rare but don't equal that price level.

Many have been cracked out so how many are left in the holders?

Also in reading the history of the Carson City Mint I found out (never knew this) that ALL the silver dollars were made with silver from the Comstock Load!

ZbaKMZ3l.jpg

L2ySdK4l.jpg

uC4bbTpl.jpg

mo4WF7Zl.jpg

5TmIemjl.jpg

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing those images. That Morgan struck with a cancelled die is really interesting. Are all of the ones in the images ones you've manage to put together? If it is :notworthy: very impressive.

I bought 5 GSA black hard packs through an add in Scientific American in 1975(?) for about $75. Sold four in '95 ($50 each) going through tough times but hung onto the best, '82cc that might be DMPL. And even though the box burned in a fire 3 years ago, the holder and coin came through unscathed. :occasion18:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish the coins in the displays were mine! they are on display at the Carson City Mint in a locked vault. It is an experience to see them all in one place! The hard packs in the safe are mine.

SPl0emHl.jpg

mLfX3Rxl.jpg

MMPtnrql.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that Carson City Mint tour is pretty cool! :icon_thumright: The room full of silver is amazing.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That explains the size of the safe door. Still an impressive group you have put together. Along with quite a few mint sets also?
Any DMPL's in the group you can share images of?

I will probably pass out from dehydration because of drooling and staring if I get a chance to visit the display.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I think they are DMPL but not certified yet. Will be sending them to NGC, both are 1884CC I have a few other coins, one is the 1879S that real a real stunner, picture is last below

EWqanhSl.jpg

cIp8cDjl.jpg

uk3036Fl.jpg

NED7EGbl.jpg

KP1qhJkl.jpg

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the eye candy. All are really nice. That last one is a stunner.
What grade did NGC give it?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
MS 64* the * or star means it is best in grade and almost a MS65, The thing is that year even in that grade they are cheap. $80 that is amazing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread