anyone collect their heavy garnets while gold panning?

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Sure, there's even places online that will buy rough garnets in bulk to use as blasting media. Or if you have some of the clear pretty ones, collectors might like them. I used to go to this one spot that the bedrock was garnet schist and I would set up the sluice there. The concentrates would be solid red garnet sand, with occasionally some nice unbroken clear garnets (1/4 inch only though). The clear/red ones look great in a gold vial when its full. Also I know of a spot that has some pretty pink ones, but they are real small (1/8 inch). I will see if I can find some pics of my best finds on garnets, I have a few.

OP
OP
G

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know, ill check them out on google. Thanks astro!:occasion14:

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to get loads of small purple garnets when sluicing in Colorado. I did not save but a couple of them. Here in Arizona, I have not run into any garnets.

OP
OP
G

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know about some parts of arizona not having garnets. Garnets are a great abrasive.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_4176248431573.jpeg

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get them in the pan now and then here in AZ. I don't save them. Same with the copper I see.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would if we had any of size here in Indiana there so tiny from being ground by the glaciers I guess but they do glow nice in the sluice when the sun is shining on the sluice and I always seem to find gold when I'm in the garnets here. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and find a nice size one, because I've only seen little bity chip size pieces so far.

OP
OP
G

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh , garnet, the rootbeer colored jem. I havent run across many this year so far, but gold is close by when I find them in my pan.

OP
OP
G

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always know that when I see them in my sluice, I've run a lot of material through, they never sit in my black mat. I always find them in my green carpet... :pot-of-gold:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down by Coarsegold there are canyons full of many colors. I used to buy the fill'm-up style gold lockets and mix nuggets with many colored garnets and WOW dazzling for sure-John

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sadly most of Coarsegold creek and Finegold is all private property and hard to gain access to... John do you remember the Broken Bit back in tis hey day, good food, good drink and good times.

uscphil

Sep 21, 2013
Salem, SC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I save mine if they are large or really nice bright red clear IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always give them away to some kid starting to make jewelry; that's better than pitching them.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many good times at places long gone or rebuilt-pizza joint in Mariposa. Time and tide changes all. Back in mid 80s got permission from many to rock hunt their property as traded panning,sluicing detecting lessons for access and a win win win for all. Such a much more "relaxed" world then. Spent a couple a days in Mariposa and Coarsegold 2 mays ago,what a changeMining museum was CLOSED and robbed afterwards but nice museum in town now. Sent artifacts ,pics and old 50s movies I transfered to dvd for their archives. ...John-

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would if we had any of size here in Indiana there so tiny from being ground by the glaciers I guess but they do glow nice in the sluice when the sun is shining on the sluice and I always seem to find gold when I'm in the garnets here. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and find a nice size one, because I've only seen little bity chip size pieces so far.

I have found some the size of dimes last summer in indiana in the redish clay layer so there are some bigger ones but not many

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess we'll save some of these for "muzzle loading season".....
This one is a cannon ball, but many are about 1/2 to 3/4" round.
We usually get 100's per run of the small ones.

photo (9).JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would think something that big would have value Doc, no?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread