Anyone do nickels exclusively?

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I do a couple of boxes of nickels a week, not exclusively, and I average roughly 1 war nickel per box and a Buffalo every 2 or 3. The best boxes I have ever gotten, one had 14 War nickels and another time one had 36 Buffalos but if I get 2 or 3 of either I consider that to be a good box. I don't think I find as many Buffalos in CWR as I do in MWR but it doesn't matter with the War nickels. Good luck with your hunting and don't forget that the 39D and 50D are valued at over 3 bucks so they are worth more than a war nickel's scrap silver value. The right coin in the right condition can make a lot of looking well worth the while.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do a box of nickels occasionally just for a change of pace. Typically about halfway through the box I get bored and remember why I don't search nickels very often. To date I've searched over ~25 boxes. My averages aren't good, which is probably why I don't search nickels that often. I find about 1 war nickel per $133 searched, and have yet to find a single buffalo or "V".

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Searching nickels exclusively sounds like about as much fun as a root canal because of the face searching and low yields. Although you have to face search cents as well at least you typically get more than just a couple of wheats per box and you can cull the copper so it feels like you accomplished something.

Have you tried finding another dump bank besides BofA? Surely there is some other bank in your city that you could open an account at that would be willing to take your dumps.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done 3 boxes:
Box 1-1944, 1945 War nickels. :D
Box 2-1 1944 War Nickel
Box 3-Bunch of pre 1960

No Buffaloes :(
So overall, average 1 per a box. exactly. :P
I don't have much luck with Nickels :( (I do loomis boxes btw.)

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billy I'm considerign getting a second bank just to help spread things around.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
I search a ton of Nickels, they are without a doubt my favorite coin to search. I average app 1 War per box and 1 Buff every 2.5 boxes.With that said I also hunt Halves as well to stockpile more Silver. Nickels in my opinion get very little respect, but unlike other denominations you always have a little something to show for your effort. Believe it or not my nephew can search a box in about the same time as it takes to edge search a box of Halves. Last year alone I found 337 Wars and I don't intend to stop anytime soon as they are Fun. Thanks. Dennis.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I search a ton of Nickels, they are without a doubt my favorite coin to search. I average app 1 War per box and 1 Buff every 2.5 boxes.With that said I also hunt Halves as well to stockpile more Silver. Nickels in my opinion get very little respect, but unlike other denominations you always have a little something to show for your effort. Believe it or not my nephew can search a box in about the same time as it takes to edge search a box of Halves. Last year alone I found 337 Wars and I don't intend to stop anytime soon as they are Fun. Thanks. Dennis.

Can I PM you some questions? :D?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did 20 boxes of nickels a couple months ago that I had saved since 2011 and found 20 war nickels, about 8 buffalo nickels, and I saved all the ones from 1959 and earlier so I have a big jar of them... will look for 1939 D and 1950 D later.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I was doing 2-3 boxes a week while I was building my Jefferson collection. I found searching them a pain because of need to face check and the low silver yield compare to dimes in my area.
Over one year, I found; 102 war nickels, 44 buffs, 2 Vs and 6 proofs.
I found every circulating Jefferson except, 1938S, 1939D, 1943D, 1944D, 1950D. I tired of nickels and bought at my local coin shop those coins.
This summer I did a 3-4 boxes to find 2012 P&D for my collection and got a few more war nickels and one more buff.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done about 6 boxes of nickels. (I would do more but they break my hands out). I have gotten 3 war nickels, 4 buffalo nickels (2 in one box), a magician nickel (both sides are tails) and 1 proof (1994-S).

jonojono

Jul 4, 2012
So Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a box of half's a week and what ever CWR I can find. I try to hit up one of my banks on my home everyday. And have not any silver for weeks so last week started to do boxes of nickels 2boxes and about $600 car later I added 8 war and 4 rolls for pre 1960 to really look later some really nice ones. So I have been thinking about only doing nickels will see.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Iand I saved all the ones from 1959 and earlier so I have a big jar of them... will look for 1939 D and 1950 D later.

Why not look for them the first time? You had to date search them anyway.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not look for them the first time? You had to date search them anyway.

So why 59s and earlier? FAQ says 60s, heard others too but no reason stated why. Arent alll jefferson nickels made of the same stuff? None of them are particularly collectible from what I understand as well.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
So why 59s and earlier? FAQ says 60s, heard others too but no reason stated why. Arent alll jefferson nickels made of the same stuff? None of them are particularly collectible from what I understand as well.
There is no real difference between the 50 and 60 Jeffersons. People that save the pre-60's, I do, are just picking a point in time and figure that because it is already harder to find pre-60s now they will be the ones to increase the most in value as time goes on.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

There is no real difference between the 50 and 60 Jeffersons. People that save the pre-60's, I do, are just picking a point in time and figure that because it is already harder to find pre-60s now they will be the ones to increase the most in value as time goes on.

Also, they can be sold on eBay or CL for more than face to some people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread