diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before(I think it was,but it was an off topic comment) so I figured i'd let you know ,if you don't already.When searching rolls of pennies,do you keep all from before 1982? If not you might want to think about it.Currently the price of copper is just under $3.00 a pound.All lincoln memorial cents minted between 1959 and 1981 are worth 1.97 cents a piece at the current rate of copper as scrap metal.Coins minted between these years are .95 pure copper.Some of the 1982 's are also,but you'd need a good scale to tell the difference.The zincs are lighter than the coppers.Anyway it can't hurt to put them aside in a can or something.If the price of copper drops tremendously they're still worth face value.I've been finding about 7-9 per roll on average around here,plus an occasional wheatie every so often.Anybody else been doing this?

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read an interesting article about this topic (maybe you read the same one dig). One guy recommends doing this as a hedge against hyper-inflation. Whenever a country's economy tanks, which some experts say is poised to happen in America, paper money become worthless and any coinage with metal content -- gold, silver, and now even copper and zinc -- becomes the bartering tool. He suggests hoarding all pre-1982 pennies in case this becomes a reality. I don't know how viable an idea that is since you could easily amass a huge amount of pennies to the point where storage becomes an issue. It's something to think about though...

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,that story sounds a little familiar.Problem is,I think it would take too many hours to sort through mass amounts to be able to do any large scale sorting.Unless someone invents a sorting machine that can sort by weight.The difference between the two is .61 grams.It would have to be a very sensitive machine.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started saving them a couple of months ago, but mainly when I happen to get them. I don't buy rolls to find them, although if I start penny roll searching I will save them out.

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
i have a 10 gallon water jug that ive filled with them, weighs alot, only 3/4s full, been saving them, as i sort threw 25$ boxs for wheaties.. geting alot of wheat here, and keeps the kids happy, not to mention im wondering how many fit in a jar.. i have another filling with dimes, waiting till they get full to take in, just for spits and giggles to see how much can fit. figuring the whole time ive only found 1 dime in 25 rolls that was silver.. lol.. one day ill be able to fill another water jug with just wheats.. not bad considering i get about 30-40 out of a 25$ box.. people look at me like im strange, but my only answer is got to fill the kids bank somehow..might sound funny, but thats how i came to the idea to do it, never know i might fill the ten gallon bucket and see what t brings on ebay.. sound good to me.. the only other way ive thought about doing it would be nickles, being i would have to look at evry one to see the diffrence like the pennys, but as i told my wife its relaxing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread