Anyone Else Feeling Down In The Dumps? (Someone Elses Maybe)

Quick$ilver

Feb 9, 2011
East Coast
Anyone Else Feeling Down In The Dumps? (Someone Else's Maybe)

It's been a long while since I've posted, but I do visit and read posts almost every day. I have seen a few posts here from members telling how it's been a rough few weeks. I am also having the worst results i can remember. I'm guessing it's due to competition. How many of you are in PA? Buffalo Boy, Maverick, Bigheed, Mastermind, etc. I'm thinking about upping my volume to dig through the skunks faster, but 35 boxes per week with work and commute is hard to handle. By the way 29 of my last 31 boxes were skunks and the 2 that did have anything produced 3 x 40%. Here's to things picking up again.

HH,
Quick$ilver

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been hunting 2 years, but summer is usually a bit "slower" and then results always pick up in August for me. However, that being said, this year my finds have still been very good into early summer.....we'll see what happens in June & July.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch 29 skunks?!?!?

Do you get all your boxes from the same courier?

Have your wrappers changed in the past few months?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in the dumps as well, my last 8-10 half dollar boxes have been skunks and my last 15 dime boxes gave me 4 silver dimes, 2 were from one box.

I'm going on a road trip soon, hopefully the luck changes for us in the dumps...

Good luck.
BuffaloBoy

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I agree with bigheed on that, this is the slowest time of the year, at least in my opinion. I was killing it December through February, absolutely killing it. I've stopped hunting because my finds were too few and far between. I'm loving the extra time I have to wheel and deal other items

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, I'm not in the PA area ( I'm far southeast) but, I am in the same boat here too, I'm still finding Silver but, the results are waaaayyyyy down. I'm sitting here looking at the results of this weeks 14 boxes ( I slowed it way down here lately) 5 90's and 9 40's, I use to find that in every 4-5 boxes a year ago, when I did 32-34 boxes a week for a spell, it was just brutal, 28+ boxes would be skunks and then (same as you) I'd find a box with 3 40's, whoopty dooo!, I couldn't justify all the time spent driving picking up dumping and time not doing other things I should have been doing because I was busy searching skunk boxes:BangHead:. I have slowed it down to a much more managable 14 boxes a week for now, I may bring it back up to 18 a week in a few weeks ( or sooner) if I think the finds merit that. I am definently in a funk though, it just sucks all ready knowing your just going to the bank to pick up more skunk boxes. I mean yes, I did find 1 per box this week but, it almost isn't worth that (almost lol), my worst week was a couple back, I did 24 boxes and only found 4 40's, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me, I instantly picked up the phone and cancelled a few orders, I can deal with searching 14 boxes a week and most all be skunks, but 24+ boxes and the majority being skunks, no way, and finding less than 1 per box, uh uuh.
I will say that it is soooo nice not to be consumed with searching and dumping, it was just taking the life out of me, it was not fun at all anymore and turned into a job with a tight schedual, now I have time to do other things and search, a good balance if you will. I know that there will be some good boxes again ( it's inevidable), they are just way too far few and in between right now, not like it use to be, of course the older old timers here are probably saying the same thing lol, while the newer people find it awsome to find 1 or 2 40's in a box after they have searched 4 boxes. Use to be if there was 1 Silver in the box, there were 6-9 more in there, now, if you even get an ender, it is the only Silver in the darn box, at least that is what I've been experiencing here as of late. Hang in there, it will come around again, I just don't think that it will get as good as it use to be though, too many dumb asses out there with commercials on the radio, writing books and of course your local people who feel it necessary to educate the tellers and everyone else on what to look for that it just isn't getting put back in the system fast enough or enough quantity being turned in anymore either. But we are a special breed of people that do this and we will forge ahead and keep searching for that elusive Silver:occasion14:. Hang in there QuickSilver. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
yea I agree with bigheed on that, this is the slowest time of the year, at least in my opinion. I was killing it December through February, absolutely killing it. I've stopped hunting because my finds were too few and far between. I'm loving the extra time I have to wheel and deal other items

Hey SFB, I love the extra time it affords me now, man, can this hobby consume you, the "CRHing coma" as it was put, lol. HH, Maverick.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Here in the Midwest, it's more like a rough few months. One 40% out of the last 11 boxes, and 5 in the 9 boxes before that! That being said, 2 months ago I found 60 silvers in just 4 boxes...

Still, yes, skunk after skunk is discouraging, especially compared to my numbers this time two years ago. Interestingly enough, looking back through my spreadsheets I do notice that from March to July last year I had very little finds in the way of silver halves.

Just gotta keep grinding...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on a 27 box skunk streak for halves. A six box skunk streak for dimes.

I do ten boxes of halves per week, and between four and six boxes of dimes.

To top it off, I'm seeing silver in the teller's trays but they are all snipers now.

I feel your pain, brother, I really do.

Thems the breaks.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I'm feeling it too. I went through 6 boxes last week and got 1 40%er. It's down, and I'm finding a lot of marks, and especially new ones. It's popular.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like May has been a great CRH month for me. I don't have exact box numbers. I've probably averaged 10 boxes of halves per week. Dimes were pushed hard early this month when I had gold fever. I DO have exact silver numbers:

May 1 - 2 90% Franklin halves, 6 90% Kennedy halves, 55 40% Kennedy halves, 5 90% Washington quarters, 7 90% Mercury dimes, 54 90% Roosevelt dimes, 19 war nickels

May 31 - 4 90% Franklin halves, 21 90% Kennedy halves, 90 40% Kennedy halves, 8 90% Washington quarters, 1 90% Barber dime, 11 90% Mercury dimes, 93 90% Roosevelt dimes, 26 war nickels

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try a 60 box skunk streak. It sucked, but I pushed through.

Happy Hunting.

Novapax

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
This month was my best ever and my longest dry spell also.

In may I found a total of :
324 40%
107 90%

The 90% included 3 rolls of Franklins and two rolls of walkers.

Then I went 8 days with nothing. I finally broke that yesterday and between yesterday and today got 21 40% a Franklin and two 64 s.

I don't do boxes only customer rolls. I honestly feel like I'm not doing well if I get less than 5 40% a week. I usually do much better than that.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow kd5txx thats pretty impressive!!!

That beat my 340+ boxes for the year so far... very nice.

I personally tore it UPPPPPP today on CWR's!!! It was the first time I really drove around looking for CWR's, hitting every bank I could...

I still have 1800 of halves/quarter/dimes to search, but from the few hundred I did search, found 2 dimes(one canadian 1968 50% silver, other was a 64 rosie), 32 40%ers, and a 1886 MORGAN!!! my oldest find yet! I found the morgan inside of a coin machine, bouncing around inside with a bicentennial ike, 1983 kennedy, and a 1967 kennedy... which is surprising I even found halves inside of the machine, cause that is mostly what I dump in these machines.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Yeah...that was my best month ever. Also understand I am in sales and do 65000 miles a year for work. So I cover lots of towns at lunch. All over the state.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did 7 boxes of dimes today, I finally got 2 silvers, a 1936 mercury dime and a 1953d.

OP
OP
Q

Quick$ilver

Feb 9, 2011
East Coast
I picked up 33 boxes this week and the results were 27 more skunks and 6 keepers. That brings the total skunks to 56 out of 68. I used to have a much lower skunk ratio... maybe 50% to 65%. Next week is a 37 box week since one of my pickups was not ordered. How many boxes per pallet anyway... maybe 80 to 90. In 3 weeks I'll burn through them and it's on to the next pallet.

HH,
Quick$ilver

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long while since I've posted, but I do visit and read posts almost every day. I have seen a few posts here from members telling how it's been a rough few weeks. I am also having the worst results i can remember. I'm guessing it's due to competition. How many of you are in PA? Buffalo Boy, Maverick, Bigheed, Mastermind, etc. I'm thinking about upping my volume to dig through the skunks faster, but 35 boxes per week with work and commute is hard to handle. By the way 29 of my last 31 boxes were skunks and the 2 that did have anything produced 3 x 40%. Here's to things picking up again.

HH,
Quick$ilver

I'm in PA and I had a pretty good week. 6x90% (including 1st barber) and 14x40%. That's from 8 boxes and some teller tray finds. I had one box that had a decent amount of silver and a few onesies twosies. I was surprised with the ratio of 90%'ers in the boxes. I'm still pretty new to the hobby and still working on maximizing my box volume, but I'm consistently finding silver, it just isn't always from boxes.

Honestly, any time someone finds silver halves in a teller tray, CWR, or talks a teller into letting them trade for it in a counter bag, that is silver that would have ended up in boxes that now isn't going to. I wonder if that is why the box finds are slowing up. There are more hunters and they are getting to the silver before it even gets to the boxes. I try to dump the bulk of my halves into carriers that I don't pick up from, but I also try to dump enough to trigger a bag change in as many of the counters for my pickup banks carrier other banks as I can. Sorry if that didn't make sense. ie. I pickup from garda, so I dump the bulk of my halves into brinks, dunbar loomis, but when I am dumping dimes at a TD, I will also bring $100 in halves so that the half bag goes back to garda in case there is silver in that bag.

Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing. Either way, as long as I am finding some silver I am happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread