✅ SOLVED Anyone else find copper like this?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this "float" or "drift" or "native" copper or man made melted copper. Can any one tell from the patina? I found them at two mid 1800s home sites. I heard it takes something like 2,000 degrees to melt copper. I wouldn't think your average settler would be melting copper like that or have the equipment to do so. Im in the mid-west. Any thoughts :dontknow: 010.JPG 012.JPG 011.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native copper looks like that. The native Americans traded it a lot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I never thought much when I would find copper like this till I found this... 35 lb. Nugget 010.JPG Makes me wonder is there more to be found? 012.JPG

Upvote 0

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
Looks like native copper, But that's the biggest piece i have seen..

Tim

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! In what mid-western state are you finding these?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were found in Northern Ill. Southern Wis. area. The smaller pieces were found directly around a very early home sties. The large one was found directly on top of a hill about 300 yards from the home site. It was down about 10 inches in top soil sitting on top of the gravel sub soil. I always wondered about how it got there? The smaller pieces seem to be there because of the early home site. I believe the 35 lb. piece was buried at on time buy a person, but then I have read of early farmers tilling up soil and finding chunks weighing hundreds of pounds around here. Just strange how I found it directly on top of a hill. The hills around here are mostly glacial deposits of gravel and sand. 35 pounder of copper has to be my favorite find of 2013. Second best would be the 1837 capped dime in the pic. I also forgot to mention the 35lb piece when I found it was laying on the smooth flat side down. The way it would sit naturally if it was put there from glacial activity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically I knew the large piece was native copper. I figure mentioning that was important in figuring out about the smaller pieces. So yes then If others never find copper like this in other parts of North America then these must be native to the area? Found by Native Americans then trade and lost or just still in the same spot were the glacier put it. I figured if I found them at old home steads maybe they were some by product from early settlers and others may have found similar pieces around old sites?

Upvote 0

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I am in Central Wis, and I have also found some "Float Copper". As you have mentioned, it was left here by the melting glaciers 10,000 years ago. Wisconsin is where most float copper is found, and a little in the surrounding states. Here is a pic of the pieces I have found, they are probably just the right size for an arrowhead or knife blade.

The pieces you found around old homesites, probably just happened to be there.

Attachments

• flcopper.jpg
    flcopper.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Awesome float copper. . . that spud is huge! The smaller nuggets, as "Mick56" mentioned are
"float" copper as well.

I live in the NW burbs of Chicago and have found some nuggets around where I live so basically, any areas
that have experienced any glacial deposition activity would be likely areas to find them.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, Those just look like fun items to uncover and would have some interest and value to mineral collectors I would think. It be cool if you found some artifacts fashioned from the native copper. Sounds like a neat place to hunt. I lived in Kewanee IIL when I was a kid. I could find Indian artifact to fossils in that part of Illinois. I'm sure there's so much more interesting finds in that region of the Midwest.

Upvote 0

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I have also found one copper tool, it is probably a knife blade, or maybe an arrow point.

Attachments

• copper1.jpg
    copper1.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 83
  • copper3.jpg
    copper3.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also found one copper tool, it is probably a knife blade, or maybe an arrow point.

That's neat! I have yet to find any copper native American artifacts, but still looking. How deep was it? What did it read as on the Ace? If ya remember? Yeah when I first found the large copper I swore for a few days it looked worked or hammered on. Like some one stared to fashion it into something then stopped. Its hard to see in the photo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one (1''x1.5'') out in the middle of a field that has a 300 year old oak on it's border. It not being native to the Finger Lakes, I could only assume that it was passed and traded among many of the First Nation till it ended up in a Seneca's hands and was lost in the crop field they were tending. An adjoining field has given me numerous arrow heads and one pottery shard that an 'expert' had said was from a 'Sacred Corn Pollen' pot. Also this adjoining field has given up more then 40 col.buttons and 20 col coins and assorted artifacts! (now privately owned and no longer farmed) After finding a lost tractor part for the farmer, he gave me permission to hunt the area which has a basement that does not show on any of my maps, going back to 1850. The newest coin was an 1818large cent in EXCELLENT CONDITION! (the oldest, George Ⅱ) This area is on the Sullivan Trail, which would have been a main road some 235 years ago.
back to the copper- yes, it was green----I keep it in my change pocket till it polished bright, lost it and found again on my lawn ten years after the fact!! (it's now in my 'traveling museum)---
ps, click on image to make it bigger----

Attachments

• DSCN2103.JPG
    DSCN2103.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard Native Americans have been trading copper and making tools items for thousands of years. I have also read it has been found all over the North America due to trading. That must be what you have Prof. That 35 lb. er' I have must of been worth a fortune seeing as how many tools and weapons one could make from a larger piece like that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread