anyone else sick of the cold and snow????

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The cold doesn't bother me much. But, the snow kinda sucks. We've got maybe 5-6 inches. I'll probably still go out this weekend. Just have to kick some of the snow out of the way and work the coil through it. Still it would be much nicer if it was just an inch or two of snow. Enough to insulate the ground. I dig in the woods and the leaves have still prevented the ground from freezing. Didn't go last weekend because of muzzle loader season. But the weekend before that the ground was still soft. But, like I said the cold is not much of a problem until it gets down into the teens. I'll wear insulated gloves until I'm ready to dig. Then I'll switch to my digging gloves to dig then back to the insulated gloves to hunt. Works out nice that way. Keeps the mud off my detector too. Waterproof boots and snow bibs help too.

I get kind of grumpy if I can't get out and hunt on the weekends. I know I don't do a thorough job hunting in the winter, so I'll hunt the same area again come spring. When the ground eventually does freeze I'll still get out and do some hiking. I just like to be outdoors I guess.

-Swartzie

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
*This is cabin fever time for me. So, I am engaged in research. Have researched articles in '70 treasure mags. A couple have paned out but some appear to have no basic in facts. Some that really looked promising are on developed land or Historically preserved sites. To save you some time The following are DOA: The Charles Wilson pirate cache is on National Seasure Property. The Capt. Kidd cache at Indian River Inlet is on developed land. The cache of money and weapons at Pemberton Hall Is on a historical preservation site. The Patty Canon stash location is now a development. The main road their is Patty Canon Rd. These are in Md. or Del.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I am thoroughly sick of the cold and snow and the irony. The last 20 years the winters have been absolutely great here in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Irony would have it that as soon as I had bought my Garrett Infinium LS and get ready to hit several good leads, we get slammed the worst winter in 2 decades, with no end in sight. Even if it didn't snow, the temperatures are so low here at night, the ground stays perpetually frozen solid, even if it does rise above freezing during the day. I am now sitting here staring at my metal detector that I had paid good money for, and it sits idle all the while taunting me. I am certainly going stir-crazy here. >:(

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am tired of the cold. I don't even remember the last time it was about 32 degrees. It snowed here last yesterday and we was lucky only got around 2 inches but it is cold, cold, cold.....Matt

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
OK Im going to be visiting a friend down near Savannah at Hunter Army Airfield this coming weekend, he's a very new part-time hunter as well so I think we're going to look around his parents house which is fairly old. I'll be sure to post anything I find out there

flip flop

Mar 3, 2010
East of West OhiO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
It's nasty here in Ohio, 6 to 8 inches of snow, mid-teens with a nice breeze.
My wife keeps pacing and will stop and stare at the window from time to time.
She keeps it up I may let her back in. :laughing7:
Flip Flop

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As it's name implies "winter" is here from December 21st Until March 20th so just sit back and enjoy it. Next thing everyone will be saying it's too Damn hot and the bugs are bitting :dontknow: :laughing7:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the older I get the worse cold affects me. With my old back injury and the arthritis in a few joints it really makes the old bones hurt. And when I get to the trembling cold state, it takes hours for me to warm back up. I remember when I was younger I would go out in freezing weather with just a jacket and cut trees and split firewood just for fun with no ill effects. And I tolerate the heat pretty good but have to watch it in the summer time not to over do it. And now I have to slather down with sun protection because I didn't do it when I was young and now I have to be mindful of skin cancers. I guess that's just part of the aging process. I don't like it much but at least I'm still alive. Monty

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 55 degrees outside, with 6 inches of snow on the ground. Either too much snow, or way too much mud.
Hence this response to your posting.
We usually never get snow in Denver.
Carl

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Another snowy day of not walking out through the woods :-\

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 109

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NatorMVP said:
Another snowy day of not walking out through the woods :-\
Welcome to Global Warming, I told everyone that this year we were going to have a mini ice age year :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :'(

Bulldog1948

Jan 2, 2011
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
GC 1036- Gold Digger
Monty said:
I find the older I get the worse cold affects me. With my old back injury and the arthritis in a few joints it really makes the old bones hurt. And when I get to the trembling cold state, it takes hours for me to warm back up. I remember when I was younger I would go out in freezing weather with just a jacket and cut trees and split firewood just for fun with no ill effects. And I tolerate the heat pretty good but have to watch it in the summer time not to over do it. And now I have to slather down with sun protection because I didn't do it when I was young and now I have to be mindful of skin cancers. I guess that's just part of the aging process. I don't like it much but at least I'm still alive. Monty

I agree with you,Monty. Age does play a factor in our ability to get out and play.
As a young farm boy, staying out in the cold & snow didn't bother me a whole lot. Loved it when they'd call school off. Mom & Dad both at work. Heck, that left us 3 kids all day to ride our sleds and only come into change into dry clothes. But,alas my old bones don't like the cold anymore either;neither does my breathing.
Bulldog1948

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread