Anyone ever actually find a cache after researching?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will find that most of us who have found caches are very reluctant to let anyone know about them as complications can arise. For instance say you found a nice cache and have done your part in getting an agreement with the landowner for the split, then they want to keep it quiet for avoiding pestering types who might flock there for seeing if they could find more of it. You need to respect their wishes to keep a good reputation. Then there is the fact that a good computer person can find out just who you are and let the wold know or they may come to your house in the middle of the night and hold a gun to your loved ones to get your cache. Then there is all the worry about the taxes that bitter some people, somehow they have the idea they can keep form paying taxes on the finds-wrong! You have to pay the taxes-read the IRS statement on Treasure Trove-the found treasure is to be declared for the year you have undisputed possesion(or something like that).I am not giving tax advice just discussing another reason some people do not let you know about what they found.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are asking because youare skeptical I totally understand that also. I have used Thomas Terry's United States Treasure Atlas to try to locate gold and silver caches. I for one can tell you these like most ofther locations published are just legends. I have been to at least 100 of them and have only found three to be where something really was.This is not to say that there was something there originally. We have to remember most of these older publications and magazines are better than 30 years old and since they were locallyknow longer than that anybody with a war surplus metal detector to the latest and greatest had probably been there before and may have found it. More than likely the person who hid it either came back, their relative found it, or some lucky treasure hunter found it. Or it never was there in the first place...some are obvious--the guys get ambushed by Indians, outlaws or the law, everyone gets killed -yet somehow the writer tells you about where it is. I usually map out a route and spend at lest 2-5 days with boots on the ground. Courthouses are a t-hunters best friend, used to locate people and land.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
vabuckhunter said:
I have been a long time reader on the cache section of this website and have seen very few posts of found caches. I know that some of you have found them and would love to stories about the found treasures.
Smart treasure finders write books about finding caches. Here's one author who searched for treasure and wrote about it: Edward Rowe Snow. Pick up any of his books for more information. They do no good sitting on a library shelf.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A question of anyone actually finding a cache after researching is like asking about people in French Gulch,Cal...
My hair-barber says: "There are those and those who don't want to be found in French Gulch,Cal.
Sometimes based on the value, where it is found, (with property owners or the State's rights.) and based on that a chance of 50% loss to face or the freakin whole lot taken away and placed in a Historic museum? Wow.
remember, "Dead men tell no tales" as they say on a Diz. ride!
I am sure "cache's" have been found.
I happened to have My first M.D. a "Famous Trails" MD which is sold at Radio Shack which I bought "Used" from a X-Heroin user/turned Minister, who sold it to me for $40.00... Cheep as it is sounds I found a 5 inch brass military calvery sabre embossed on the blade under 1 foot of dirt from a burned out old home site.
To me that is a treasure! I now have one of the first vintage Tesoro Golden Sabre MD. works great.
There are caches to be found and I feel many not reported too! I got faith Brother to hit a good one. :icon_thumright: ;D :icon_thumleft: :read2: :sign13:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Yes they have been found and will be found in the future. Yes I do know of some of them. No, I have never found one, so the muslims government will be wasting their time pursuing me.

Nuff Said.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
GrayCloud said:
Yes they have been found and will be found in the future. Yes I do know of some of them. No, I have never found one, so the muslims government will be wasting their time pursuing me.

Nuff Said.
What he said x 2 ...............

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes people have found them most notably Mel Fisher, Charles Garrett, many more. It is estimated that less than 10% has been recovered. Think about it years ago things were much different. People were in the woods every tay, they needed them to survive, no paint or weather proofing homes rotted. No 911 service to call so you hid it all. Now if people go in the woods its only the edge or hunting club property. Or the woods have been destroyed. For me, I never expect to get that lucky. The treasure for me is time with my family and passing a sence of adventure on to my kids. Its 2:15am I can't sleep and my 3 kids are piled all over my wife and I, my CA she is here with me. But finding a truck load of gold would be cool as hell to.
Like I always say " ITS ALL IN THE CHASE"

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The greatest treasure book I have was written by George Mroczkowski pronounced "merch-cow-ski-". The book "professional treasure hunter" is classic. In reading chapter by chapter one thing becomes very evident. He always comes up empty handed, and that's the beauty of it! Most of you should understand this....

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
idigdirt said:
In reading chapter by chapter one thing becomes very evident. He always comes up empty handed, and that's the beauty of it! Most of you should understand this....
An appropriate response if you are worried about someone breaking into your home ...

But even Carl Miller (aka Karl von Mueller) said somewhere between 40 and 80 percent of treasure leads will be duds. But while researching one lead, you often come across several others. You need to be open to the possibilities. If another lead seems more promising, drop the first and go for it!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You talk about the research, you talk about the chase, BUT, you never talk about the finds. It's more or less the code of the cache hunter. Let the park hunters do the bragging. Do you really believe Mroczkowski never found anything? lol
But to keep your spirits up----- Frank

Attachments

• coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg
    coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 684
  • coins_0005 T gold_edited-1.jpg
    coins_0005 T gold_edited-1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 702
  • coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg
    coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 690
  • coins_0005 T gold_edited-1.jpg
    coins_0005 T gold_edited-1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 688

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
I understand your interest in finding at least one specific example from a regular guy, for motivational purposes, as it suggests the likelyhood of whether or not you might ever find one (i.e.: wasting your time). Kindly refer to my thread herein on the Dutch Schultz cache. It' in two parts cuz when I finally posted my map showing the location of the site I didn't bother putting it in the original thread. In summary, a map was known to exist and to have fallen into the hands of a rival gangster, who denied ever recovering the cache. Yet, due to tax implications related to mobsters, he certainly would not have admitted it. Unreported income was how they were nailing gangsters. So, along I and many others came. After 3 years, I located the site, empty. So, the mystery was solved, but in a manner I was not happy with. If the reward had been intact it is unlikely you would ever have heard of it, for the above reasons. So this is probably as close to an admisssion as your going to get on this site. I have only been on that one hunt. I don't go coin shooting. I'm planning my second search here in the northeast, and can expect some days in the field. I had dragged family along with me on the Schultz hunt. They wanted some fun and never expected to find anything related to the treasure. My wife kept calling it a lark (arghh!). In retrospect I wish I had not been so businesslike about it and had made it more fun for them. Next hunt I'm going to do just that. This is my advice to you: Make it fun for yourself and those around you and there's no reason to ever quit.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaBnn3, Dutch had some stashes in The Bronx, but I really don't think you want to roam those areas, I'm sure you'll stick out like a sore thumb :laughing7:

He also had a place in Kerhonkson, NY

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found something the size of a small chest registering gold and silver but due to the location and buzz of people around I didnt want to dig and attract unwanted attention to whatever it may be. The first heavy fog this year I plan on going back and getting it, will update everyone with whatever it may be. I have read many tails of buried caches in the area but who knows, ground is still frozen here but man am I getting antsy.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
salvage diver said:
It is estimated that less than 10% has been recovered.
I think that is a misleading statement. A more accurate statement may be "It is estimated that less than 10% have been recovered -- or reported recovered."

As so many other on this ng have posted, they would not report anything they have found. Based on my own research/recovery efforts, a lot of the "big tickets" have likely already been recovered, but never reported.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have found one not by a book but by sure dumb luck and accident. Did not use a detector. Wont tell you what is was but is was in Michigan cashed it in got a little over 20k. Very stupid for cashing it in but I didnt spend a dime to get it. I think thats how any cache will be found by dumb luck and determination. I also found a one ounce gold bar in a box of hunting stuff and magazines at an estate sale in Mississippi twenty years ago. Paid five dollars for box sold bar two days later for five hundred. Should of kept that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread