Anyone ever find a....

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 cent nickel? Not the little tiny silver one, but the other one?

Probably the rarest find on these boards I am guessing, I don't think i have ever saw one posted. I have seen the posts of the Half Dismes and whatnot, but no 3 cent nickels.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I was metal detecting a part of Oakland California where they had just torn down a whole block of victorian houses. My
hunting parner looked down on top of the dirt that was just scraped off by a dozer blade and saw a dark gray disc. He picked it up
and saw that it was a 1867 3 cent nickel! It was just laying on top of the ground after being exposed by the bulldozer. After 25 years
in the hobby it is still the only one I know of.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two of them since I started detecting in 2005ish. One has a hole in it. Both have clear dates from what I remember. One of them was found on the same day as I found a silver 3cent, so I pulled a very rare double that day. I think I found them both within a couple months of each other.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few coins from the same era, but never a three cent nickel. I have found it unusual because the three cent nickel was a very heavily used coin. It was a time when silver was hoarded and the nickel coin was a response to get coins in circulation, and it was very successful at that.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if it counts but I know a local guy who found one a few months ago. I think SouthJerseyJim can confirm, as he was there for that hunt.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one last May at an 1860's homesite lying on the surface.
Thought it was a clad dime until I saw the three numerals :D

_DSC03.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC03.JPG
    _DSC03.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 253

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a old homesite in southern Oregon when my buddy found one, maybe 6-7 years ago. defineatly a good find..........Scott

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my one and only at an old home site about 5 or 6 years ago. But you are right you dont see many posted on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread