Anyone ever find these on the beaches in Florida???

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I live in Florida....I have many times over the years heard of people finding these spanish coins washing up along the beaches here in Florida, especially after hurricanes, and storms. Anyone here in the forum ever find any along the coast of Florida? Secondly, I happen to live on the West coast of Florida.... Are my chances of finding them on this side of the coast less likely? I think they are more often found along the upper East coast, even although there were pirate ships in the waters right near where I am.

Thanks!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you asked! I was just reading this thread right before yours...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,198188.0/topicseen.html

Anyway, there are more (I believe) recorded shipwrecks on the East Coast... BUT, there have been finds on the West Coast as well! There are wrecks on our coast, they just aren't as well recorded as the Treasure Coast has been. Plus, the Fisher family has sort of monopolized on the popularity of the Treasure Coast. Like I said, there are coins and treasure to be found on the Gulf Coast. Just peruse around some of the threads here, and you'll probably end up finding more info for yourself.

Bran <><

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The reason there are more old coins and other shipwreck materials found on the Florida east coast is because of the (relatively) deep water that quickly runs into nearshore reefs. Ships would hit these reefs and break up, scattering their cargos onto the beaches and shallow waters.

Every ship returning from the New World to Europe had to sail up the east coast of Florida.

The waters on Florida's gulf coast are very shallow, usually many miles out to sea. Most of the ships tended to sail further offshore and thus, to wreck further out and the cargos never made it to the beaches. Usually, not always.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread