anyone ever had a trespassing on church property or school after dark?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get what you mean bigfoot1 and it's a good tactic. I have a lot of experience with the courts, and if you get their attention and p*ss them off well yeah they might suddenly come up with a whole lot of money and attention for your case. This is a very minor offense by someone with no prior offenses and in my professional opinion he should never have been cited. The court may or may not have sense enough to recognize that. I'm assuming this is a state charge. If I was OUTCOME1, I would make a trip to the courthouse and visit with the DA. Due to the nature of the offense he might be able to to work something out beforehand and never even have to appear. I have 25 years experience with the legal system and they will follow the path of least resistance.

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow. I had a similar experience where im from. ive only been detecting for a month now, but I do a lot of night detecting, i have kids ,work 24hr shifts for FD, and lay tile during the day....so night is my best time for personal stuff. Iv been hitting a local park after dark often, its right beside a pretty busy hwy and the only thing the sign says is that it closes at 11pm. Well, i dont want to go too regularly because i dont want to draw any attention from people up to no good (target for robbery mainly, even though i open carry when i do this). So i decided to leave the gun at home and go to an old school insted. Within 5 minutes a security guard showed up (not the police unfortunatly because i work right beside them everyday since im on the FD i figured if i did get questioned theyd just laugh and ask if i found anything yet) and asked what i was doing, and why i was there at night. I introduced myself, and ex[lained that night was a good time for me to get out. He told me i had to leave, but i informed him it was public property and considered my detecting legal. He said its fine.....just not after dark. He said i could come back anytime during the day (not during school hours) and dig away. So my experience was rather a plesant one. Youve got to understand though that a lot of schools get vandalized by kids or rival schools at night, so i understood his concern, although i was still pissed because i had just had a great signal that i was about to dig. lol. Ive sent emails annonomously to the city I live in and my sister city across the river about this subject and any laws on the books, not publicaly known.......well thats been about a month with no response. So, I always ask if its private (which churches are), but if its a public place im fine with just swinging away until told to stop. Reality is, even if theres no law, or rules inplace they can always get you for destruction of city property. But theyd never win here because they let people park on grass and start fires during mardi gras...so i say dig away, and confront the issue when it arrises on PUBLIC groundsthat arent posted, or have any "park rules" signs. just my opinion.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had your situation in the back of my mind for a couple of days. I decided to look up what a Class 3 misdemeanor would get you in VA. It's a $500 fine. LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-11

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't see the issue here. You where on private property without permission. Additionally, your town/city has a specific ordinance against the very activity you where engaged. You took a chance and lost, end of story. There are rules and the main one is permission to access private property is required. As to other properties public or otherwise that isnt posted, well I'm not in the habit of asking question to which I know the answer most likely will not be in my favor. As my daddy used to say, "don't ask a barber if you need a haircut". After all, whats life without a little chance.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always ask the baliff if you could do court telephonically because your tired from the night before detecting all those churches........or do creative dances with your detector on sunday on the road that leads to the church(naked). Of course the best thing to do is goto court and get it over with.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL.... Why would anyone do that in the first place??? Hey.... Let's all wait... Till the dead of night and go detecting us some Church grounds without any permission??? Y'all wouldn't be related to a F. Savage? Would ya???
boombaby.jpg

OP
OP
OUTCOME1

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly, so see my second post on here

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nighttime. Not the best idea. Get a lawyer. It'll cost more if you don't. Lots of churches are getting broken into these days due to the economy more than likely, but lots of people don't like churches either (my church got broken into - three times in the last year, this last time they caught the guy red handed, he's going bye bye.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread