Anyone ever make a foot valve?

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009
oragonads said:
Has anyone ever made there own foot valve?

$275 for a 5" foot valve is ridiculous. $499 for a 5" foot valve assembly is outrageous.

There actually a pretty simple design if you think about it

Just curious if anyone has made there own and any problems they encountered with them.

Funny you should ask I made two out of a four inch NDS atrium drain at LOWES with a 4"x3" pvc coupling(cost $12)... 3" goes to the pump intake hose....largest atrium drain is 6"...youll need a 6"x5" reducer? Or You could get creative and make a cylinder out of perfed S/S sheet?...cap off both ends with a fitting at the intake hose....clamp it? Main thing is limiting suction drag...dont know how these'll do till i assemble and test run the dredge....yeah the prices on some of this stuff is insane. Kings...

Attachments

• brass-atrium-grate-250x188.jpg
    brass-atrium-grate-250x188.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,500

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1- five inch PVC or ABS 12 inchs long
1- four inch PVC or ABS 12 inchs long
2- 4 inch rubber end caps
1 4X5 reducer

slide reducer onto four inch about mid way, place end caps on, cut one end cap to make a flapper, slide 5 inch on to reducer so that the flapper is on the inside of five, drill holes in the four inch below the reducer

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Well, I got the stuff for my foot valve today. Total price $35. Best part is, I don't have to build it my self.

IMAG0030-1.jpg

IMAG0031-1.jpg

IMAG0029-1.jpg

It's got a rubber o-ring on the flap to seal up watertight when closed. Flows straight through and shouldnt restrict flow very much if any. Outer diameter of the outside is 5" and my 5" intake hose will fit right onto it. The opening is 4" straight through.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:P only problem is geee wiz that size a rock sucking capabilities on a pump(except trash style) will kill it FAST and no rubber flapper valve to seal either-John

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wasn't going to say anything but....

The size is wrong, open it up wide and let that 4X5 gulp up the water as it was intended or just live with the loss from impeded suction. Flare outward don't neck down.

Also try to get the pump as close to the water surface as possible as you will reap the rewards in performance. Be surprised what a foot does. Been there done all that, learned.

There is a Keene 8" 8070 ready to go in the Mining Journal for 5K if you were wanting to dredge this summer.
Should have started this project last fall as you will have many bugs to work out before calling it good.

16 DAYS!!! AK Dredging!!!! :tongue3:

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Hoser John said:
:P only problem is geee wiz that size a rock sucking capabilities on a pump(except trash style) will kill it FAST and no rubber flapper valve to seal either-John

I plan on cutting out some of the ribs on the atrium drain to open the flow up a little more and then line it in a thin mesh screen to keep unwanted debris from entering.

Also the flapper valve has a rubber o-ring on it that seals it up nice and tight when closed.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Gravel Hog said:
Wasn't going to say anything but....

The size is wrong, open it up wide and let that 4X5 gulp up the water as it was intended or just live with the loss from impeded suction. Flare outward don't neck down.

Also try to get the pump as close to the water surface as possible as you will reap the rewards in performance. Be surprised what a foot does. Been there done all that, learned.

There is a Keene 8" 8070 ready to go in the Mining Journal for 5K if you were wanting to dredge this summer.
Should have started this project last fall as you will have many bugs to work out before calling it good.

16 DAYS!!! AK Dredging!!!! :tongue3:

What do you think the size is wrong on? The fact that it goes from 5" to 4"? Unfortunately that's the largest size they had. Or the atrium screen is too small?

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009
Since your saving money making your own, I would of had them special order you the 6" atrium drain..my2cents

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
shamaalah said:
Since your saving money making your own, I would of had them special order you the 6" atrium drain..my2cents

I don't think they make a 6" ground drain with a flapper valve that a 6" atrium drain would fit on.

Also, my engine and pump will be sitting closer to the water then most 8" dredges I've seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread