Anyone ever seen one of these?

pjhitchcock

Jul 17, 2015
Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

It's made by Rayscope. It is a Super Scope model 990. This belonged to an old man that was friends with my folks. When he passed away it found its way to our house. I wound up with it and every once in awhile I look for any information on it but always come up empty handed. I have the original operator manual and some brochures that were mailed to the man who had it originally. The brochure states its price tag at $165 and claims to detect ore deposits up to 28' deep. Yes, 28 FEET. Lol Curious if anyone else has ever seen one.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a "two-box" detector. Do a search for those and you will get a better idea of it's worth, there are a few manufacturers like Fisher and Garrett that made or make them. They are used for finding large objects like a safe or big chunks of metal. I would seriously question it finding an Ore deposit at 28' but for finding large objects their great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pjhitchcock

Jul 17, 2015
Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fowledup, I know what it is as I have all of the literature and manual. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this particular model before as I can find no information about it at all. $165 in the early 60's is comparative to $1250 today.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one similar back in the 70s, got it at a swap meet for $10 (guy thought it was a mine detector:laughing7:). If I remember right it was a 711. Had a round bar that quarter turned into the boxes. A drop handle swung out of the bar to get it closer to the ground. Does that one you have take the big paper 9v battery & the 97 or 98v battery? It was really hard to keep tuned, kept drifting and if you had any bounce in your step at all forget it. You can still get the batteries at Batteries Plus, but you'll need real deep pockets. Oh that was the other thing, you had to let it warm up since they were tubers. Cool wall hanger though! Do you have the headphones that go in the pocket on the transmitter box? If not you can find them at some of the ham radio sites fairly cheap.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions