Anyone ever send in coins for grading?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am thinking of sending some old world gold coins to NGC for grading, among them an 1888 20 franc (French with only 24,000 minted, often called gold angel) and 1909 5 Rouble gold coin (Russia) which is a key date in the series. The angel is at least AU58 maybe higher and the Rouble is at least MS 62 maybe 63. Since I paid roughly melt for these in the past, I have nothing to lose getting them graded. I know the Rouble has had a couple ebay transactions where it went for 1200 or so in MS 65 (melt is roughly 200). I may send in some other old world silver coins too. I think NGC has a deal if you sign up you can submit a certain number of coins for a flat fee?

I know someone that used to work for one of the big two companies, and his personal recommendation was to use NGC for old world gold and PCGS for old US coins. He also said in his opinion NGC had faster turn around times.

Anyone ever send something to either company before?

Jim

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny because I was just on NGC's website looking up how to submit. It looks like you can purchase their $39 membership but that comes without any free gradings and it costs $30 a US coin. It also looks like they have a deal that if you purchase their next higher membership that you get a certificate for 5 free gradings. I think I am going to sign up with the lower membership since I only have 2 coins that need to be graded.

Main reason for my reply- Did your friend ever tell you why PCGS for old US coins? That's what I have and I am leaning towards NGC right now.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
That's funny because I was just on NGC's website looking up how to submit. It looks like you can purchase their $39 membership but that comes without any free gradings and it costs $30 a US coin. It also looks like they have a deal that if you purchase their next higher membership that you get a certificate for 5 free gradings. I think I am going to sign up with the lower membership since I only have 2 coins that need to be graded.

Main reason for my reply- Did your friend ever tell you why PCGS for old US coins? That's what I have and I am leaning towards NGC right now.

He didn't say why. My guess is he feels that way because some old US gold coins in higher grades seem to cost more if in a PCGS holder.

Personally, I would buy a coin in either brand slab and would go by the coin over the company. A few years back when I was really into pre 1933 US gold coins I looked at hundreds of $20 libs and saints and honestly did not see a difference in grading between the two, and I was trying to find a difference.

From my experience the only difference was comparing graded coins in older holders vs. newer ones (meaning the coins in the older holders were graded several years ago instead of recently) , in that it seemed to me the coins in the older holders looked better than similarly graded coins in newer holders. For example, I bought a few old Saints in PCGS "rattler" holders (the coins could move around a bit if shaken) that looked at least 1 number higher than they were graded when compared to a coin in a modern holder of the same type and grade (plus you could tell the older coins had never been dipped and had that original more orange-like color than a bright, flashy yellow like many I have seen in newer holders).

I plan to send my old world gold to NGC and if I have to come up with 5 coins will throw in a couple nice $10 libs I have that are unc.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to belong to NGC and the forum and have sent in numerous coins for grading. I sold all my numismatic collection when I started stacking silver. When I was sending in my coins they where at $25 per coin and your correct, you do receive a certificate for 5 free submissions when you sign up and renew.

Lots of people especially on ebay will pay more for the PCGS holder over the NGC one. Not me. Lol

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I used to belong to NGC and the forum and have sent in numerous coins for grading. I sold all my numismatic collection when I started stacking silver. When I was sending in my coins they where at $25 per coin and your correct, you do receive a certificate for 5 free submissions when you sign up and renew.

Lots of people especially on ebay will pay more for the PCGS holder over the NGC one. Not me. Lol

My local coin stores treat both brands equally when buying or selling.

Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If a major coin show is in your area, you should go and submit your coins in person. There are representatives of the major grading companies that will accept submissions and offer a show discount. Plus, you save on shipping and insurance when you submit.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
If a major coin show is in your area, you should go and submit your coins in person. There are representatives of the major grading companies that will accept submissions and offer a show discount. Plus, you save on shipping and insurance when you submit.

That sounds like a good idea. Do you know roughly what they charge to accept the coin at a coin show?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
That sounds like a good idea. Do you know roughly what they charge to accept the coin at a coin show?

It depends on the coin's value, turnaround (they will grade in as quick as 4 hours), and quantity. Also, not all shows are created equal, and consequently the discounts vary. I know of some collectors that fly into Orlando every year for the FUN show which is one of the largest. The volume the TPG companies do at these events allows them to offer greater discounts.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I like PCGS better because they are so close to me and they buy products from my company. I have never had a coin graded by them, but just sold a coin they graded a few years ago. Did pretty good on that coin.

I could never work for them tho. I interviewed with them several years ago. During the interview I found out the personalities of some of the graders. I knew I was going to be hired and withdrew my application.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread