Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a SEF coil and connector to machine is messed up,tried to fix but it goes in and out so thought I would splice another cable into mine with one that has a good end,Im quite capable just wondered if any issues might arise....looking for cable if someone has one also.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't you just pick up another connector/plug somewhere? I'm not sure I would splice anything. Just make a clean connection with a new plug.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a SEF coil and connector to machine is messed up,tried to fix but it goes in and out so thought I would splice another cable into mine with one that has a good end,Im quite capable just wondered if any issues might arise....looking for cable if someone has one also.

No problem with a splice if you do it right. I've been splicing cable for 30 years in my profession. Every bit as functional, it's just a piece of wire, don't let it intimidate you.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't you just pick up another connector/plug somewhere? I'm not sure I would splice anything. Just make a clean connection with a new plug.

I agree !! What would be the advantage to splicing the cable vs. replacing the plug.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree !! What would be the advantage to splicing the cable vs. replacing the plug.

There would no advantage unless you wanted to use it and didn't have a new connector in your pocket. If you can get a new connector and the cable is long enough that would be the preferred way of coarse, but there is nothing wrong with splicing a cable to make it work.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There would no advantage unless you wanted to use it and didn't have a new connector in your pocket. If you can get a new connector and the cable is long enough that would be the preferred way of coarse, but there is nothing wrong with splicing a cable to make it work.

He said he was looking for another cable to splice on to his so I assumed he did not have a cable and plug in his pocket either. I would just order a connector from Whites, repair it and be done with it if it was mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread