Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Sounds like a lot of work. A snorkel and a under water detector would be a lot more easy.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ken,I use this with good results,discharge line is hooked to a wire basket 10 ft. away,use it with my Hookah. God Bless Chris

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 77

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

You would have to have a spot that is very abundant with targets. Like right at the base of a water slide, or something like that. Otherwise the amount of sand to "process", for each target, is unreasonable. To simply dredge the bottom of random swimming hole spots, would be needle-in-haystack hunting, and you'd be better off hunting individual targets by wading, or snorkeling, or whatever.

I was watching a video of a suction dredge and started wondering if it would work on an old swimming hole. I think if I were to build one I could just vacuum the sand under water and it should pull up rings and coins no problem. Just wondering if anyone else has ever thought about it or tried it and any opinions?

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I had an idea similar to yours, but it died of loneliness :laughing7:

HEH.... The spot I was thinking of is a man made beach, and it had a sheet pile wall that's disintegrating into little clumps of rust everywhere. My thought was to try the areas where the iron is the worst since a detector just goes nuts in that area.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be very effective but is not a new idea as you can see from Worldtalkers post. Exaimo sold the Spartan 3" dredge from the mid seventies which was very similar to the one in the picture but used two innertubes with the pump at one end and a frame passing out over the other tube that held a mesh to do the filtering.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how deep is pot?
ever try snorkeling on bottom and fanning
gold sticks out like sore thumb usually
or try hookah - snuba or scuba and fanning
just other ideas
I knew a guy that made a large screen/sieve - with wood sides
he would sink it near slides of floating rafts (usually with a huge rock)
then dive under - using mask and snorkel and using a plastic scoop
fill the mesh then remove the rock and let it slowly rise and the material
would filter out - he used to pick up coins and jewelry that way
you got to be a good swimmer though - if you could get someone to work with you as a team
might be good

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how deep is spot not - pot
and I dont even moke the tuff

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the area is around 2 feet, it drops off about 30 yards out and hits around 8 or 9 feet. It's got a lot of trash in it, tabs, caps, cans....... I'm going to wade out with the detector and my new sand scoop and see what I can get, I was just pondering the idea of spending a relaxing day floating in a tube and vacuuming the bottom while I was at it. I might go ahead and build one over the summer just to see if I can make it work, (and because I have to use my new shop space for something other than fixing the toaster)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread