anyone ever tried this?

manoverboard70

Sep 15, 2013
Last year my dryer went out and we had to go to the laundry mat to do our aundry. Of course I had to get change from the change machine. The first $5 I put in turned into 17 regular quarters, two bicentennial quarters, and a proof 1969 quarter. I ended up putting over $100 in the machine, and found two silvers. It made me think it went something like this. Owner bought a bag to fill the machine, most went back into it when the washers and dryers we're checked, and basically the quarters floated back and forth for the most part. If you empty it, the owner would restock it, saving you the hassle of looking for rolls v that you can buy.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It's just wrong to be hitting small businesses for change...
The small business owner is not a bank. By emptying their supply, you are preventing them from conducting their business. Don't do this.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Just tell the owner you collect coins and ask to see inside the machine, odds are he'll say yes.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
My buddy owns a quarter car wash and he has the change machine outside bay for the customers to drop bills in and get quarters. I said I bet your just moving the quarters from the car wash back into the machine and he said no, he always runs out of quarters. Seems the coin laundry down the block has a bad or broken coin machine and he said they all drive to him and get his change. He buys a couple of hundred dollars a month in quarters just to keep himself operating. I changed my perception of his easy business with coins.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Last year my dryer went out and we had to go to the laundry mat to do our aundry. Of course I had to get change from the change machine. The first $5 I put in turned into 17 regular quarters, two bicentennial quarters, and a proof 1969 quarter. I ended up putting over $100 in the machine, and found two silvers. It made me think it went something like this. Owner bought a bag to fill the machine, most went back into it when the washers and dryers we're checked, and basically the quarters floated back and forth for the most part. If you empty it, the owner would restock it, saving you the hassle of looking for rolls v that you can buy.

LOL AT ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING "This small business owner is not a bank" or you're gonna get a black eye READ BELOW

Manoverboard70 here thinks he got a good deal. DO THE MATH AND HE'S LOST MONEY.

$5 in 4.25 out
(5x20) $100 in 85.00 out
He lost $15 on this deal

The small business owner is laughing right now, that he got an extra $15 from some guy who found two silver coins

MORAL OF THE STORY: MANOVERBOARD70 IS IN ALL REALITY SUPPORTING THIS SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS LIVELYHOOD!

Last edited:

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should read his first post again.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
*cough* if you skim it *cough* it says *cough* 17 quarters which is 4.25 *cough* 50 cent quietly hides in a corner and retreats from this thread

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
*cough* if you skim it *cough* it says *cough* 17 quarters which is 4.25 *cough* 50 cent quietly hides in a corner and retreats from this thread

We know reading comprehension in not your forte. It is alright. But before you begin spouting your nonsense, perhaps you should try and comprehend written English. The OP never lost money. He received 17 quarters, 2 bicentennials and 1 clad proof with his first $5 exchange.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats kinda wild, I thought about looking for quarters at the car washes by my house. I dont see how this would hurt any small business owner..Now i would sit there and drain it...but i would do 20-40 bucks at a time...I still rather get them from the bank.

But I have and still do, dump alot of my metal detecting finds in these machines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread