Anyone ever use a Rotapan?

Willy

They've always intrigued me; wondering how it compares to one of those big green Garrett Super Sluice pans. I use the Garrett pan & can get it down to cons. in abt 2 min. Can the Rotapan beat that? What's the recovery rate? Would be nice to have something that's still classified as a pan, but can (supposedly) move much more material. Seeing as it's illegal to sluice without a claim (& gov. approval) in B.C., it would be nice to have something that might be able to run a couple of yards for intensive sampling. Only problem is that they're sooo expensive. Would have to be really exceptional to justify the price. Willy.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with a couple a good keene screens-1/2" and 1/16" and your garret or any pan and keep your cash in your pocket. Specific gravity does the job.Patience and experience takes care of the rest.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
W

Willy

I usually run it through a 1/2" classifier before panning, reason being the areas I was working were known for big nuggets. Regardless of nuggets, I feel the !/2" makes for the best compromise between time spent panning vs. sifting. As for the Rotapan, well, I suppose I'm just a sucker for gadgets. speaking of gadgets, I have this idea for a hand powered sorta dredge I might whip up for crevicing & cleanup. Willy.

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
A hand powered or watere powered unit is a good idea for eliminating noise to avoid attracting unwelcome attention(like Fisheries or Park Rangers). If you do make one and it works to your satifaction,let me know and I will give you a lead for Manning park. But try to keep the weight down. Fred

Hardpan

Mar 20, 2003
I can't find anyone who's used a Rotapan due to the price. They won't find their way into the goldfields till it becomes more affordable. Besides, I'm an excellent panner (true), and could even use an old hubcab in a pinch (it's happened). Nuff said, Hardpan

detector

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2003
Australia
Hi ive seen one of these used at a gold expo here in Australia they are pretty fast and do recover just about everything put through them you would think that it would loose fine gold not the case you can pan off the waste in the bottom of the( gold seperater) what it is called here in Australia but you wont find any as for the price they cost about $300 aussie dollars here.

Greg in BC

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2003
BC
Remember that everything shown at the Gold Shows and Expos is set up to work properly so that they can get sales. The operator is trained, the water recirc'd so may have wetting agents, and most importantly the gold and the material it is coming out of, has been previously worked and chosen to provide for maximum recovery (right size/type/shape gold and no clay etc.).

Personally I have not used one and they would seem to be handy in some situations but they are pricey plus I have heard of many owners perfoming 'alterations' right out of the box to make them work better (why wouldn't the manufacturer do that?). I just don't believe they would hold the fine gold I have around here.

Having said that there are people who swear by them. One such is Motherlode Gold Dave, and although he sells them I would trust his word that they work very well for situations where he uses them.
Greg in BC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread