Anyone found any "Old" coins in the Galveston County area??????

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone found any "Old" coins in the Galveston County area??????

Ive been detecting the area for years, and have never found anything older than 1919, and the was in League City....Just Curious about what the area hunters are finding...Thanks in advance for Sharing........also I am always open to detect with anyone interested on Sundays in the The Galveston, Harris, and Brazoria county's area..I have a extra detectors also for someone to use...Thanks in advance for any replies to this subject...Tom Shaw

TXcoindigger

Dec 29, 2008
Re: Anyone found any "Old" coins in the Galveston County area??????

Hello Tom,
Me and my Pops hunt mostly in Galveston County and it has been awhile sinse we ran across any really old coins. We have found some old Indian Heads in the past but it is not common.
Lately we have been making it to Memorial Park Camp Logan and last year I dug an 1898 Barber Half.
We are always considering where we can find new hunting grounds. If you want to get together let me know. Maybe we can explore some new sites together.
Brett

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

In Galveston county my oldest coin is a 1912 penny, my best was a 1917 liberty quarter. I do have a large cent I dug but it has poor detail and no date showing. So much of the county is or has been under construction for the last thirty years, and every time they build something new the property gets filled over to increase the elevation. My better hunts have been on private property.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TXcoindigger said:
Hello Tom,
Me and my Pops hunt mostly in Galveston County and it has been awhile sinse we ran across any really old coins. We have found some old Indian Heads in the past but it is not common.
Lately we have been making it to Memorial Park Camp Logan and last year I dug an 1898 Barber Half.
We are always considering where we can find new hunting grounds. If you want to get together let me know. Maybe we can explore some new sites together.
Brett

Hey Brett, I live in Texas City, where is Camp Logan???? I know the general area where the old Air base was at in the early 1900's....If ya ever want to hook up, and go on a hunt let me know...I just ordered a 1936 Galveston County Map, it is supposed to show old Schools, parks, and homes...Hope it is good.....I am always looking for new places to dig...I got lucky, right before they built the new city hall in Dickinson, I detected the place where they tore down the houses, pulled a couple of silver quarters, and a few wheat Penny's...It is a parking lot now..Maybe the map will show some leads....Thanks for the reply, Tom Shaw

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

I dont hunt there much but know of people that have fouund loads of Civil war items as well as coins, Im told a great many troop encampments around the island and north, all down the coast. iv heard construction sight are very hot when they dig up areas in and around galveston. I have seen some reals and such dug around freeport by a friend that lives up here now.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TEXAN Connection said:
I dont hunt there much but know of people that have fouund loads of Civil war items as well as coins, Im told a great many troop encampments around the island and north, all down the coast. iv heard construction sight are very hot when they dig up areas in and around galveston. I have seen some reals and such dug around freeport by a friend that lives up here now.

Hey Texan, thanks, I will keep that in mind...Tom

TXcoindigger

Dec 29, 2008

gallileo60 said:
TXcoindigger said:
Hello Tom,
Brett

Hey Brett, I live in Texas City, where is Camp Logan???? I know the general area where the old Air base was at in the early 1900's....If ya ever want to hook up, and go on a hunt let me know...I just ordered a 1936 Galveston County Map, it is supposed to show old Schools, parks, and homes...Hope it is good.....I am always looking for new places to dig...I got lucky, right before they built the new city hall in Dickinson, I detected the place where they tore down the houses, pulled a couple of silver quarters, and a few wheat Penny's...It is a parking lot now..Maybe the map will show some leads....Thanks for the reply, Tom Shaw
The map sounds pretty good. Camp Logan is Memorial Park in Houston. Yes Lets get together sometimes.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TXcoindigger said:
gallileo60 said:
TXcoindigger said:
Hello Tom,
Brett

The map sounds pretty good. Camp Logan is Memorial Park in Houston. Yes Lets get together sometimes.

Got the maps, but they are not as detailed as I had hoped for...I saw some pictures at Alexanders Detectors in Houston about Camp logan right after I asked the question....Tom

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008

It is rumored pirates inhabited Galveston Island. Hence the reason for the name pirates cove. I'm just saying.

Greg

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greg-in-MI said:
It is rumored pirates inhabited Galveston Island. Hence the reason for the name pirates cove. I'm just saying.

Greg

Ive been to the ruins of Jean Lafitte's house many times...would like to detect in there, but it is fenced off now days...I'm sure it had been worked by the pro's....I think alot of the pirate talk was just talk...I was just wondering about really good finds in the Galveston County area...I have detected here for MANY years, and never hit anything pre 1900....I know there are things out there if you get the opportunity to get on site...Thanks for the replies guys.....Tom Shaw

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

The pirate talk was not just talk, google earth the ship Channl between the deer Islands. It has been reported that there was one of Laffites ships sunk there, and Iems were dredged up during the ship channels construction, Iv been there, and dident find anything. BUT you will see what looks pretty clearly like a ships Hull. Dont go on Deer Island as it is a Pelican sanctuary.

Look into the Book "Texas Treasure Coast", by Townsend.

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008

Don't know if I will ever get back on the island, so here is what I do know the land that pirates cove sits on which is privately owned has much history in the ground, back in the 60s college students from texas a&m dug at this place and made some killer finds. Now what I am not going to tell you is the area in which they were digging. When I was down there around 10 yrs ago they refused to give me permission to search on the property. They didn't want me disturbing the rich folks.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greg-in-MI said:
Don't know if I will ever get back on the island, so here is what I do know the land that pirates cove sits on which is privately owned has much history in the ground, back in the 60s college students from texas a&m dug at this place and made some killer finds. Now what I am not going to tell you is the area in which they were digging. When I was down there around 10 yrs ago they refused to give me permission to search on the property. They didn't want me disturbing the rich folks.

I have been all over the pirates cove area, but never did much detecting there....I know they have dug some Indian sites near that area.....My aunt, and I got to watch a dig down there....I am not really much of a beach hunter anyway...I am more of just a plain coin shooter......Thanks for all the replies guys....I'm going to detect Fort San Jacinto, as soon as the ground dries up a bit...Not sure how hard that site has been hit, but it is worth a shot anyway...

TEXAN Connection, I started to buy that book the other day, but im not really into the pirate stuff, but now that you suggested it, I may go ahead and get it anyway..........Thanks......Tom

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

Don't know if that book is still in print, mine says copyright 1979.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, I will check..I think Slocum Books has it,...

byron (tx)

Greenie
Feb 28, 2005

I've been hunting the area for many years too. I dug a worn slick no date seated half dime hunting the wiped out shorelines of Gavleston bay ghost town site after Hurrican Ike. On the Island my 2 oldest silvers were 2 worn slick 1900 Barber quarters. Oldest on the island find was about a month ago on a house demolition was a late 1800's China or Japan cash coin. Also got a 1912 V nickel that day. One of my hunting buddies got a 1903 barber dime at the same site.

You'll have trouble finding much older coins on the Island because of all the layers of fill dirt from the 1900 Hurricane/Seawall rebuild effort. Lots of the dredge material from the Houston/Galveston ship channel was dumped on the Island. You'll get occasional good stuff from that too!

I've got several older coins in Brazoria and Harris County.
My oldest in Harris Co: 1793 French Copper coin awful condition, huge Russian 1795 5 Kopeks, restrike huge silver Austria 1787-X Thaler (likely from the 1930's), and a sweet 1836 Bust dime all at different sites.

Still looking to dig my first colonial Spanish coin.

The area dates way back to the Spanish and French expeditions and shipping bound to be some really old coins lost in the last 300 years.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Look for book Treasures of Galveston Bay -- good info -- have to look in turn of century places before hurricane ... ghost towns after that --- (long gone now) out there somewhere by Virginia Point (Tiki Island) supposedly three spanish ships -- treasure fleet destroyed in hurricane -- compiling list now

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

byron (tx) said:
I've been hunting the area for many years too. I dug a worn slick no date seated half dime hunting the wiped out shorelines of Gavleston bay ghost town site after Hurrican Ike. On the Island my 2 oldest silvers were 2 worn slick 1900 Barber quarters. Oldest on the island find was about a month ago on a house demolition was a late 1800's China or Japan cash coin. Also got a 1912 V nickel that day. One of my hunting buddies got a 1903 barber dime at the same site.

You'll have trouble finding much older coins on the Island because of all the layers of fill dirt from the 1900 Hurricane/Seawall rebuild effort. Lots of the dredge material from the Houston/Galveston ship channel was dumped on the Island. You'll get occasional good stuff from that too!

I've got several older coins in Brazoria and Harris County.
My oldest in Harris Co: 1793 French Copper coin awful condition, huge Russian 1795 5 Kopeks, restrike huge silver Austria 1787-X Thaler (likely from the 1930's), and a sweet 1836 Bust dime all at different sites.

Still looking to dig my first colonial Spanish coin.

The area dates way back to the Spanish and French expeditions and shipping bound to be some really old coins lost in the last 300 years.

Wow, pretty good....you have sure done better than me....Yes they messed up the Island for metal detecting, back when they raised it up....lol.....I think Brazoria County would be a good place...I might make a trip that way soon....Tom

SomebodyElse

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2010
Clear Lake, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705

Hey everyone, I'm to this hobby and haven't detected but only my backyard and a park in Liberty. I plan on hitting Bolivor/High island beaches Saturday A.m, anybody hunted or have any luck down there? Thanks

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Copies of books ... Clear Lake Freeman Memorial Library .. Texas History Section

1 - Texas Treasure Coast
2 - Treasures of Galveston Bay
Lot of information on older ghost towns -- mostly done in by hurricanes and completion of Houston Ship Channel. Additionally, there were three Spanish Galeons washed ashore in Virginia Point area by Hurricane -- Possibly the best place to really do some light underwater-detecting/dredging behind boat. Seriously need some REALLY GOOD information on what was salvaged from those galeons, AND what remains unaccounted for.
Quite a Few Books - Pictorial History of Texas
Look into old railroad lines -- used to go to west - Texas Hwy 6 Route

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread