Anyone going detecting next week at 1715 sites with the pending storm?

bkurent

Jul 20, 2023
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looking like a decent storm setup mid next week for 1715 beach combers. Anyone going out/down to detect? Looks like 8-9ft waves and 30+mph winds to maybe make a dent in the dunes. Gathering thoughts as its a 6 hr drive for me, but willing to block off time at work to make the overnight trip for 2 days of detecting. Curious what the locals see/think (not that you want a bunch of people down there with you haha)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They dump so much fresh sand on the Treasure coast beachs every year odds next to zero on really finding anything.

OP
OP
bkurent

bkurent

Jul 20, 2023
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They dump so much fresh sand on the Treasure coast beachs every year odds next to zero on really finding anything.
I agree there. I have had some good finds there before (after major storms), but was hoping maybe they didnt dump a bunch of sand just yet since tourism isnt quite in season. Pair that with big waves, cuts in dunes and wishful thinking haha.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree there. I have had some good finds there before (after major storms), but was hoping maybe they didnt dump a bunch of sand just yet since tourism isnt quite in season. Pair that with big waves, cuts in dunes and wishful thinking haha.
They dumped over 15 foot this year. They dump fresh sand any year there is a hurricane that affects the treasure coast.

OP
OP
bkurent

bkurent

Jul 20, 2023
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They dumped over 15 foot this year. They dump fresh sand any year there is a hurricane that affects the treasure coast.
Good to know. Also sad to hear for us beach hunters. Any beaches they miss with the renurishment, or do they get them all?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What major storm ? ? ?

There is no "major" anything.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must live in the very bottom east tip of SC if you make it in 6 hours.
Or speed the whole way. heh

OP
OP
bkurent

bkurent

Jul 20, 2023
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You must live in the very bottom east tip of SC if you make it in 6 hours.
Or speed the whole way. heh
Yes at the very bottom of SC coast. I may speed a touch too, but doing normal speed puts me there in 5.5-6 hrs. Made it to Islamorada last summer in about 10.5 hrs too. I also drive in the middle of the night when traffic is minimal. When I was saying major storms, I meant anything above a tropical storm/nor'easter with favorable tides etc to get the water level very high for good beach erosion

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wind direction and speed are looking 60/40 good/bad for Tuesday/Wednesday, perhaps. It just depends on the timing of the winds clocking around to the North rather than the NNW. I would guess that flashlights, headlamps and fresh batteries could be needed if the wind and tides line up late at night. On these beaches it appears that if you aren't there when it happens, you may well never know that it did happen.
Windyty.com is what I use.
Good luck to all.

Bamasteve

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2022
Very far north of where I’d rather be
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 400
Garrett carrot
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Pro-find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday event. I might try and make it up if I can find the right vehicle for the trip.
Might get a chance to be there, hit me up if you’re able to make it.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going Wednesday early I think....so far that's the plan.....looks like a ripping nor'easter all day Wednesday at this point. Probably stay Wednesday Thursday Friday....tentative plan so far !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20240205_083042_MyRadar.jpg
it's knocking on my back door right now....any minute the sh!t is gonna hit the fan !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going Wednesday early I think....so far that's the plan.....looks like a ripping nor'easter all day Wednesday at this point. Probably stay Wednesday Thursday Friday....tentative plan so far !!
Here's the winds forecasted for Tuesday & Wednesday-looking like Tuesday is better.

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 9.09.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 9.10.38 AM.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions