Anyone have a Garrett Ace 150?..if so, what are your thoughts?

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• merpri2002.jpg
    merpri2002.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 562
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....should do ok, but i havn't heard of anyone finding anything spectacular.....However, the ace 250 is a much better detector and is worth the extra cost....At least two people here have found gold coins with them and many other nice treasures.

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006
souljour2000... I have a Garrett 250. I am very happy with it! It is very easy to use. I have let people borrow it and they are up and running in no time finding stuff! I don't know enough about the 150, but I can tell you one of the biggest mistakes new TH's make is getting a machine that is difficult to use. Before too long they are frustrated and giving up on the hobby! I think with metal detectors the old saying is true... You get what you pay for!
Good luck and HH...
Bu

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a 150 but never used it. I got it free with a new Minelab and I sold it for $120 on ebay.

I've heard they get the same depth as the 250 but the 150 is missing some of the 250 features.

If you can get a used one cheap and money is an issue for you, the 150 should do alright.

If you can go a little more money and want a new machine I'd look into the Tesoro machines. Even their lowest cost machine will get very good depth and has superior target separation and the company service is the best in the world. Buy a Tesoro and never worry about future service needs...it's FREE.

Badger

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
I have Ace 250 and should note that it is very nice candidate to start for the first time. On my opinion, the main difference and advantage of 250 from 150 is pin-pointing option which is very helpful and I would prefer to pay some 40-50$ more to have it. And discriminator of 250 is a liittle more intelligent :). Depth is the same.

HH
Sand

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had an Ace 250, and I couldn't off that thing fast enough! The TID and the depth indicator are almost always wrong, and it's very unstable. The thing chatters like a monkey, though, I guess that if there was an adjustable GB it might help this. In my opinion, the Ace 150 & 250 are highly over rated machines. For the same money as a 250, you can buy a Tesoro Silver umax, or for a few bucks more, a Cibola, and get much higher quality and capibility for your money.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Ace 250 is a good machine. It is what I started out with and after seeing what others were digging with better machines I upgraded after less than a month to a Minelab Explorer. I started out not wanting to spend much... but QUICKLY got addicted!

The Ace is great for hunting around playgrounds, but if you want the old, deep stuff, get something else.

D

doyboy

I would spend the extra money and get the Ace 250. It is a proven machine with pinpoint mode. I have found many silver coins with it. It was my 1st machine. My buddy found his 1842 Silver dollar with it.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
It Has To Be Better Than The Machine I Started With 36yrs Ago, About One Step Above An Army Mine Detector. Hang In There, Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
I think the Ace 250 is a good machine. It is what I started out with and after seeing what others were digging with better machines I upgraded after less than a month to a Minelab Explorer. I started out not wanting to spend much... but QUICKLY got addicted!

The Ace is great for hunting around playgrounds, but if you want the old, deep stuff, get something else.

how deep are you talking.....what depth is the 250 no good???

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the depth of the ace 250 is ok, but it cant compete with an explorer 2. in my soil when i use mine most of the coins i find are in the 1 to 4 inch range but i have found coins to 6 inches and an occasional one to 8. the ace 250 is designed as an entry to mid level detector, and it is a great one! sure there are better machines available but not for $200. as far as i can see no other detector does all that an ace 250 does in the $200 range. the ace 150 is pretty much the same machine, but without some of the features like pinpoint,low battery indicator,it has fewer preset modes, no user programable preset mode,and a 5 segment target id curser, as opposed to a 12 segment one for the 250.it also has slightly less depth. in my opinion,spend the extra $70 and get the ace 250. the pinpoint feature alone is worth the $70.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm tring to decide between a Tesoro, and a Ace 250. I am use to just knobs now......pin pointing I never experienced it.....all the digital read out stuff is worring me...........If it is easy to program (ace250) may be for me, but I hope i won't outgrow it........I would like some depth..... Even a used Tesoro, may be a great deal, with there
free maintence deal......

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
tesoro does make great detectors. if you think you might outgrow the ace quickly and want the depth of a higher dollar machine, you might be better off getting a used tesoro. as far as programming the ace 250, dont worry! its super easy to learn, it was designed with beginners in mind. the way i see it, whatever you decide, tesoro or garrett, you really cant go wrong. they are both very good.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mwsvector said:
bscofield6 said:

how deep are you talking.....what depth is the 250 no good???

I have found that when I turn the sensitivity down on it then it is pretty accurate to 3, maybe 4 inches deep. But if you turn up the sensitivity it will get down to 8" on occasion, but it loses a LOT of accuracy.

In a lot of places, the deep coins are at least 6" deep usually. I have dug wheats close to 10" deep with the minelab before.

Again, the ace is a great machine, but if you think there is ANY chance that you might outgrow it quickly then I would save up the money and buy something else. I just keep it around to let friends use if they ever want to tag along with me.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Instead of writing about a certain brand, this time I'd like to suggest that you consider the land type you plan to hunt.

Does your area have a very thick sod? See, coins sink to the base of the root level quite quickly and stay there sometimes for a very long time.

Most of my old coins were dug either right at the base level (where the roots end) or 1 inch deeper.

In my area sod tends to be thin (about 4 inches). Therefore most coins and relics are less than 5 inches deep.

Maybe this will help you some.

Good hunting.

Michigan (Tesoro) Badger

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had to add my two cents. I have a ACE 250, I also have a Whites XLT,
TESORO Tiger Shark, DepthPro, and a Fishers 1235 and a Minelab Soverign. I like the ACE 250,
it is light weight, easy to use and finds deep coins. Not like the other guys who reported
on here that they didn't find that much deep with this machine, I have. If you look at my back
posts that I have made this year on todays finds, my partner and I have been using the ACE 250 a lot this
year. If you look at my posts I have found lots and lots of coins at the depth of 5, 6 and 7
inches. Of course these coins were found in wet soil. Also worked farm fields. Please look at
some of my finds and then decide for yourself. The other machines I own are also very great
machines. I'm getting older now and the weight of these machines are much more than the
ACE 250.

OP
OP
Silvestri

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the interesting replies! Does anyone have any experience with either Ace 150/250 in saltwater environs like wet sand or shallow saltwater.I will check the posts but any discussion on ace 150/250 in saltwater would be interesting...especially florida beach environs.Thanks for all the great input..I am returning to many years. As a kid I had some fun finds with a 20$ montgomery/ward detector ca. late 1970's.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
I just had to add my two cents. I have a ACE 250, I also have a Whites XLT,
TESORO Tiger Shark, DepthPro, and a Fishers 1235 and a Minelab Soverign. I like the ACE 250,
it is light weight, easy to use and finds deep coins. Not like the other guys who reported
on here that they didn't find that much deep with this machine, I have. If you look at my back
posts that I have made this year on todays finds, my partner and I have been using the ACE 250 a lot this
year. If you look at my posts I have found lots and lots of coins at the depth of 5, 6 and 7
inches. Of course these coins were found in wet soil. Also worked farm fields. Please look at
some of my finds and then decide for yourself. The other machines I own are also very great
machines. I'm getting older now and the weight of these machines are much more than the
ACE 250.

I never said I didn't find that much deep stuff with it, I was just stating that it isn't as accurate the deeper you go. Hunting a farm field is pretty easy compared to a trashy park. You can jack the sensitivity way up and get nice deep signals that are fairly accurate. But if you are hunted in a trashy park and turn the sensitivity up you are going to get a LOT of falsing on the ID display.

B

Bugar

You asked bout a 150 and everbody gets off on the 250= THE 150

Is a nice little detector for coinshooting, little tricky to get onto pinpointing, but all u gotta do is slightly wiggle the detector and back up/the bell will ring, for the money it's nice, i carry mine in the truck for jump and run detects at playgrounds, it's nice, cheap, got good warranty, if you want relics, gold, or whatever else, get a different outfit, it's a lightweight fun detector, and i been detecting since 75, and had a bunch o detectors, / that's the 150 :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread