Anyone have any suggestions of Great Places to Go?

lizfj1

Dec 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Retired seniors, new to prospecting. Based in Massachusetts. We did Herkimer last fall for the first time out. Fun, but really a yawn. What you get is not worth the time and effort, and money. We are looking at sites in South and North Carolina for spring, found an interesting place in NH (maybe). I see some interesting places in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, Idaho. We have been offered a mining claim in Oregon for $4K. Our interests are finding gems that could be resold and, of course, the gold strike. Not looking to get rich, but to pay for our adventures. Anyone have any ideas of where to go? Thoughts on where to do and what to try first? Best paybacks? Not interested in any place that sells you dirt and rents you a pan for $1. I am finding several places that want anywhere from $50 to $200 a DAY to prospect! Ridiculous!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with you on the "staged" type tourist-trap sort of pay-to-pan gimmicks. Your best bet is to hook up with nugget hunters, who are successful, in the specific area you're heading to. Like for example, here in CA, if you were to stop in at any of the dealer's locations who sell mining equipment, they would invariably know the hot-shot successful hunters in those areas. If you can strike up conversation to get a contact name and info, then those person's are sometimes amicable to let you tag along. Like find out what forums those hot-shots post/read on (if they do). Or if there's a club, attend that club. Because often-time what those persons won't post on a public forum (for fear of a good spot turning into a mad-house), they would let down their guard, and take a guest to, on an in-person basis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread