Anyone heard of 40 Civil War guns and cases of bullets found in the James River?

tazcodetector

Sep 26, 2005
My friend was telling me about this guy he knows named Scott ??? and he said he found 40 guns and cases of bullets from the Civil War in the James River. He said this was late 80's or early 90's when he found this and said that his collection was photographed for a National Geographic special. My friend is not an avid relic hunter and didn't listen to most of the details of the story. I have tried looking on the net today for anything about it but I have been unsuccessful. Does anyone remember this or know anything about it? Thanks

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Couldnt find any reference to those being found in James, but did find other rivers where weapons were recovered. I shot a couple of emails over to some Civil War buff organizations and also to National Geographic to see if they could assist . Will let you know my replies..

OP
OP
T

tazcodetector

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks Gypsy. I hope sometime this summer I will get to meet this Scott guy. I hope you find out something.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Not sure if this is a result of garbled info or the old game of 'telephone' - but there was a fellow who found 40 Revolutionary war British cannons in the James river, and has been restoring them and selling them. ?I ran across them online quite by accident (yep shopping for a cannon) and the fellow apparently followed one of those old tales from the Rev war. ?According to the tale, the British had a fort with some 40 cannons on the river, and when they got word that the Americans were over-running them they threw all of their cannons into the river. ?Most people assumed it was all a tall tale BS but this fellow just went and dug them out of the river. ?If memory serves he was asking $18,000 apiece, with new wood carriages and in firing condition. Forty guns out of the James fits with the find of Rev war British cannons, but no Civil war. If anyone is interested I will try to track down that web site where he is selling them. ?I think it was on bronzecannon.net. ?Yep you know those old tales are all baloney right? Anyway harhar. ;)

Oroblanco
Remember the words of the experts...
"Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax. " --English scientist William Thomson, Lord Kelvin

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." --internal memo, Western Union 1876

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread