Anyone here a member of the Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association?

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
I'm heading for my first meeting of the MTHA tonight and would love to meet anyone from here who is a member.

I'll be there with Rita C. I'll have an odd black backpack with a pants leg sticking out of the top (to fit the tops of rods and my shovel) and look somewhat like this:

RGS_MD.jpg

If there is anyone from here there and is a Sovereign user, I'm bringing my Sov along because I'd like to have an more-experienced Sov user to check it over to see if it's working up to specs. I've wondered if it's been toyed with inside or otherwise is a bit off specs.

_Rich_

Attachments

• RGS_MD.jpg
    RGS_MD.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 341

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently met one of the guys who works at the Whites Metal Detector store in Watertown Ma. up in NH at a sportmans show and during our conversation he mentioned that he was a member of this group.
He seemed like a nice enough guy with a good bit of detecting knowledge behind him despite being relatively young. If the other members are equally nice, and I'd suspect that they are, it could be a nice time.

I have never been to a meeting but have checked out their website a few times.

http://www.masstreasure.com/index.html

I know they have at least one open public competition hunt each year. I believe they also run another one or two hunts per year for members only.

Might be worth while looking into, if nothing other than to share stories with like minded hunters.

Johnny Cache Hunter

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
I didn't make it after all since the woman from work I was going t o cach a ride with had to bail to help a friend.

I've met what might be the same the White's guy in his store but was a bit frustrated: I had called and asked if he had any used Minelab's and he said he had a number of used machines and to come on down. Got there and all he wanted to do was sell me a new White's machine after telling me they didn't have anything used. Apparently waving a bunch of clad coins on sticks in front of the coil is supposed to sell you on a new White's. Pppppht. (Not that I have anything particular against Whites' MDs.) Nice guy but that was kind of frustrating.

But the woman from work is a sweetheart and seems to think highly of the folks in the group. I will go back but hopefully by then will have my Jeep running. (Just spent $ that could have fixed my Jeep on an effectively new Explorer SE w/ Sun Ray probe plus a 5" Sun Ray coil. It's due to arrive around Wednesday.

Priorities. :)

_Rich_

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
We have a great club here in CT if anyone is interested in more info. Please contactme. We are always looking to hook up with others from around New England and share sites.
TonyinCT
TC Metal Detectors

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:
(Just spent $ that could have fixed my Jeep on an effectively new Explorer SE w/ Sun Ray probe plus a 5" Sun Ray coil. It's due to arrive around Wednesday. Priorities. :)

_Rich_

Wow Rich!!!
With all the good things I've heard and read about the Minelab SE you should be well equipped to find those deep coins and relics. I know from exchanging emails with you in the past that you had a slight inclination toward coin shooting for the truly "older coins". When you combine the detecting capabilities of the Minelab SE, the precision/sniping/discrimination of the 5" coil along with the benefit of having an in-line sun-ray probe, your going to be one ass kicking detectorist.

The only thing that will remain for you to do at this point will be to become acclimated with the minelab and continue to do your research on promising areas. I'm happy for you! With that setup you can at least detect with confidence that if you don't come away with the goods from a particular site, that it wasn't for a lack of being well equipped.

I know that you've spent some time at local beaches, such as good harbour. I understand that the SE is pretty stable on the beach, which should make it more pleasurable for you do do those hunts. By the way did you ever find that knife you lost up on GH beach?

I've never used the minelab but, certainly from what many others have said, it apprears to be a machine that requires some patience and willingness to learn. Wish you the best with the new setup and I can't wait to hear how you like using it. Please write about your experiences with it this spring after you've had the opportunity to get some hours behind it. Oh and don't forget to share all the good finds you'll be picking up.

Best of Luck!
Johnny Cache Hunter

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Johnny Cache Hunter said:
....do your research on promising areas.

That's one of my weak spots, at least when it comes to asking permission. I'm not particularly an extrovert and I've been shot down by everyone I've asked that I didn't already know. Have to keep trying though.

I understand that the SE is pretty stable on the beach, which should make it more pleasurable for you do do those hunts. By the way did you ever find that knife you lost up on GH beach?

I'm thinking about waterproofing my Sovereign for the beach since it's nice and stable, is supposed to be about as deep as the Explorer, I dig most everything at the beach, and I don't need all the info I'll get from the SE. Never did find the knife.

One of the reasons I went for the SE is that, while I really like the Sov in relatively clean spots, it can be pretty frustrating for me in trashy spots--and some of the most promising spots I have are party spots where cans, tabs, bottle caps, etc. almost literally carpet the ground (e.g., where an old mill used to be). With the SE, depending on my mood, time, and how trashy the spot is, I can either disc out selectively or at least get more information from the screen before I decide whether or not to dig. One of the first programs I'll make for it l'll create by discing out every rusty nail, pull tab, bottle cap, etc., I can find (and I've got a lot of them around :) ) and then undisc some spots that may overlap trash by scanning a variety of nickels and any odd coins I have (like a nickel 3-cent piece). (I may scan some war steel/zinc cents too since I've never found one and, from what I've seen, they read lower on the conductivity axis than nails do.)

Should be fun. :)

_Rich_

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread