Anyone here CRHing 5 or 10 years ago?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am curious what the boxes were like 5 or 10 years ago? I have only been CRHing for a couple of months, and I imagine 5 or more years ago the boxes were better. For those who have been CRHing for years, did you get skunk boxes back then?

Anyone here have any personal experience with this?

I sure wish I had been doing this a few years ago, when I first got into buying gold bullion as an investment/savings vehicle.

Jim

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me but wish I did and know what I know now.

I am sure there are many folks that were doing back then but one thing that pops into my head is the silver prices were about 5 years was about $4-$5/oz. With those prices a 40% was worth about .73 cents and a 90% about $1.80.

So if you were doing it just for the silver it just wasn't that attractive back then.....but I still wish I would have been CRH'ing. I can just imagine what boxes were like back then........wow!!!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I have to agree with LJ, I WISH I had been doing this 5-10 years ago. Think of all the money I pi$$ed away because I didn't need it for hunting- I'd be rich I tell ya. Sometimes I wish my hindsight was BLIND, I try not to look back there very often- just thankful I lived through it. HH Mark

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
I wasnt and I have known about all my life .. my folks were doing in the early 60s making sets when they were all keepers .. Oh well I know that some folks have been picking for years and it must have been a hell of alot of fun, Ed

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started in the 60's. It was to fill holes in my whitman albums. Routinely spend and/or turned back lots of silver including silver dollars :'(

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just depends. Some places had really good boxes, others did not. Go back 10 years and they were still minting halves, could be all new, couple be a mix.
Reality is boxes were just as hit and miss as they are now.

I have happened upon some old boxes in banks that had been sitting for 4 to 7 years. I got one from 1999 once and I thought, Man, this is gonna be awesome. It had 3 40s in there. I found one box from 04 a while back that was filled with bens and kens. But I have also found many boxes from 06 that were skunks, and some that were bonanzas.

Since there is no source for silver other than deposits this hunting is reliant solely on deposits. Who and when that happens we never know, We just hope the next box is part of a stash. It really is that simple.

Some old boxes were good, some skunks.
Some new boxes are good, and some are skunks.
As long as we are dealing with counting and rolling machines that take halves and are wroking with this currency size, Silver halves will always be found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread