Anyone here hire themselves out for detecting?

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, just wandering if any of you hire out your metal detecting services, and if so what for? How much and how do you charge and what have been your results as far as amount of "business" and success in locating objects? I just placed a few ads in a local paper, first in the "wanted" section an ad wanting places to hunt and then in the Lost and Found and Resume' sections I posted an ad offering fee based services locating property pins and also lost jewelry. I was bored and thought I would give it a try. If I get one reply for a "job" it will be 1 more than I would have had if I hadn't posted, and it didn't cost me anything to post, so we'll see. Just wandering if any of you had done this or are doing this and what your results had been, or are. Thanks for looking and if I get any takers I will post a follow up. Thanks for looking and HH.

Upvote 0

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have Detector will travel.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I can hardly find time to hunt for myself, much less others! :D Have had some calls from family and friends for lost items, but of course I don't charge for those. Just get excited headed there! Everybody knows I'm a weirdo (MDer) anyway, so just think I'm ok if my reputation isn't too damaged already! But, hey! If you're in a location (large city) where folks don't know others too well and they may sometimes need some help, go for it, and good luck! Probably nothing you need to open a storefront for, though. :icon_pirat:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few folks who are "on call" by insurance agents to look for lost jewelry items that their company insures for folks. If they find the item, they get a minimum of 10% of the value plus expenses. In small towns, no expenses are charged for "in town" searches. Out of town, $1 mile.

A lot depends on exactly what you agree to with the insurance agent to begin with. Annnnnd, you'll need to have several agents on your list because just one won't have enough "work" for you. You have to play the averages.

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about it, even made up a flier but then thought "wait, I don't want this to be a job" this is my hobby and I love it. And like Noodle said, barley enough time to do it for the hobby. I'm always open to helping anyone and the joy of finding something someone has lost and returning it is payment enough. :wink:

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the ad has been up only 3 and 1/2 hours now, my first reply:"My Family has owned and inhabited a piece of land since the mid 1700's that I inherited and now live on. There are numerous old house sites, several with chimneys still standing, a cemetary(complete with the obligatory confederate soldier buried there), and several other places that may yield artifacts. The property is located atop ----- ridge, on the -------- county line about 4 miles from -------- My land is completely surrounded by the -------- National Forest, because for some reason, the ancestors didn't sell out when the forest was being established. I would allow you to search around, provided you split the profit from any gold/silver bars you may find. I have found civil war uniform buttons after a rainstorm around one old house site...the foundation is still there. Anyway, if you are interested, give me a call. My name is ------, and my home phone..." I think this may have potential..... :wink:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Britain we have the F.I.D. (Federation of Independant Detectorists). This provides you with a few newsletters a year but more importantly a membership card that incorporates your photograph plus a public liability card that provides £5,000,000 of insurance. If you left a gate unclosed and the farmers prize herd got onto a busy road you would need plenty of cover !

If a member of the public lost something of value they can contact the FID who will check their records and contact the detector user who lives nearest to the place the loss occured. If that person is at work they would then carry on down the list until someone is found who can go out and do the recovery.

Cost to join is £5 then £3 per year to renew so under $5.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Captain Loosechange said:
Hey everybody, just wandering if any of you hire out your metal detecting services, and if so what for? How much and how do you charge and what have been your results as far as amount of "business" and success in locating objects? I just placed a few ads in a local paper, first in the "wanted" section an ad wanting places to hunt and then in the Lost and Found and Resume' sections I posted an ad offering fee based services locating property pins and also lost jewelry. I was bored and thought I would give it a try. If I get one reply for a "job" it will be 1 more than I would have had if I hadn't posted, and it didn't cost me anything to post, so we'll see. Just wandering if any of you had done this or are doing this and what your results had been, or are. Thanks for looking and if I get any takers I will post a follow up. Thanks for looking and HH.
There is no market for profit like that in this hobby.
Too many of us do it for free.
I have had several people calling me wanting to pay me to find jewelry, wires etc...
I just run out and do it for free

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law 'hired' me to search out a water meter on the lot of his ATV and dirt bike dealership.
He paid me in BBQ pork steaks and beer. :headbang:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a few people call and want me to find something for them, and only one gave me money which I couldnt refuse since she grabbed me by my back pocket and stuck it in my front pocket, sweet old lady. Wouldnt take no thank you for an answer. But it all worked out since I sponsered my girlfriend in a cancer walk with the money. But I wouldnt charge anyone, just doesnt feel right to me. Everyone has tried to pay me I just tell them if they want to spend there money donate it to a good cause.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a dealer refer people to me that wanted to hire someone to find their lost item. I used to charge them $50.00 an hour, with a $50.00 paid in advance. It was mainly finding so ones lost wedding bands either on the lawn or at the swim area. If I was already at the beach I would find it for free. Some times I would be met at a dock and they took me by boat to where they think a ring was lost and then bring me back. Many times I gave the money back too once I was sure I wasn't someones entrainment for the day. Had one guy that wanted to hire me to find his watch which he lost while water skiing.

I gave it up when it cut into my detecting for fun time.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Captain Loosechange said:
Well, the ad has been up only 3 and 1/2 hours now, my first reply:"My Family has owned and inhabited a piece of land since the mid 1700's that I inherited and now live on. There are numerous old house sites, several with chimneys still standing, a cemetary(complete with the obligatory confederate soldier buried there), and several other places that may yield artifacts. The property is located atop ----- ridge, on the -------- county line about 4 miles from -------- My land is completely surrounded by the -------- National Forest, because for some reason, the ancestors didn't sell out when the forest was being established. I would allow you to search around, provided you split the profit from any gold/silver bars you may find. I have found civil war uniform buttons after a rainstorm around one old house site...the foundation is still there. Anyway, if you are interested, give me a call. My name is ------, and my home phone..." I think this may have potential..... :wink:

I'd print that paper out and both of you sign it before you did any detecting.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my name at the beaches.that way i learn whats out their and where it is.i hunted in places that you wouldnt even think their was stuff.i get a finders fee.it works out great.i find other stuff while im looking for their stuff,plus learn of other places to hunt.people allway give me a hundred bucks,but then again what is a platlum ring worth,or the history behind it. i love the stories people tell me after the find. one guy had a set of rings made up went thru the war had it for 37 years then lost it.and now he has another story to add to the ring.i sent it to him next day.he was so thankful that he sent me 100 plus shipping. so put your name in at the beaches,police dept,schoolsallmost anyplace you look for newer stuff

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
and friends will call me for property markers and such.

That's a bad idea. Many times, it is not a straightforward endeavor, and is best left to professionals.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
Sandman said:
I used to have a dealer refer people to me that wanted to hire someone to find their lost item. I used to charge them $50.00 an hour, with a $50.00 paid in advance. It was mainly finding so ones lost wedding bands either on the lawn or at the swim area. If I was already at the beach I would find it for free. Some times I would be met at a dock and they took me by boat to where they think a ring was lost and then bring me back. Many times I gave the money back too once I was sure I wasn't someones entrainment for the day. Had one guy that wanted to hire me to find his watch which he lost while water skiing.

I gave it up when it cut into my detecting for fun time.

What if you didn't find the lost item?...no fee?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't really see a problem with accepting a small reward because I would gladly pay $100 if I lost my watch and had a chance to get it back. And if it was found, heck even a couple hundred bucks certainly is a whole lot better than having to buy it again! Add in sentimental value and you can probably throw another hundred in. These people have to be so excited to get their lost item back, and because of that, I also understand why it's fun and feels good to do it for free. Now I'm not saying charge someone $100, but if someone is overjoyed and throwing it at you, well... :tongue3:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When I formally retired from a large corperation I decided to supplement my income with my hobbies. It's like doing a job you love and getting payed to do it. I do what I call archaeological search & recovery. It coveres my digging with a veil of respect. I search old yards on a 50/50 basis or on a set fee owner keep all basis. My fee is $100 a day in advance. Do I make money? Well let me put it this way, in the last yard I searched, I found a gold ring with a 2ct. ruby. Estimated value $2000. I also found some other collectable items which have historical value. The ring wasn't lost by the owner of this 200 year old property. It was about 3.5" down, a pop up item. From the soil in this area I would estimate that it was lost in the 40's.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Capn.
Because we advertise as being dealers in this area, we get a lot of strange calls of people wanting to find lost items.
Of course all we try not to charge, hoping it does good for the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread