Anyone here planning a Bahamas relief effort?

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep in mind TreasureNet can not be used to raise funds, even for worthy causes.

OP
OP
grossmusic

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Please keep in mind TreasureNet can not be used to raise funds, even for worthy causes.

I'm proposing a plan, not a fundraiser, but I see the point. I'll delete.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm proposing a plan, not a fundraiser, but I see the point. I'll delete.

No need to delete as long as you dont post hot link to fund raiser your okay. Talking about fund raisers for hurricane relief doesnt violate our rules

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am working with some folks presently...I can post some suggestions if you like.
The big thing to remember is that this is going to take YEARS to resolve and we need to stay connected with the effort in the long term.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am working with a group of pilots that own aircraft that are flying in supplies and evacuating people out to nassau and the USA.Today they all brought in 20 tons of relief items and flew out 200 people.Everyone is now out of hopetown.Now they are working on getting everyone out of the abacos island chain.Some pilots have seaplanes that are getting the people out where there is no airfields and that cant get to the airfields due to bridges out.I have been spreading the word on what they are doing and getting people that have friends and relatives that need to be evacuated off these islands to join the group where they can find out the daily flight plans and pick up times and locations.They are no longer bringing generators since there is no fuel for them on abacos and grand bahama.their main concern right now is to get the people out before they die of starvation and disease due to contamination of the water and all the dead bodies everywhere.

OP
OP
grossmusic

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excellent!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was there staging for PR and USVI after Maria, this group was handling the efforts for other islands.

International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ (IFRC). The Bahamas Red Cross is part of this federation, and please keep in mind they have nothing to do with the American Red Cross (thank god). They had quite the response and relief effort going. With the Red Crescent on the ships, helos, and vehicles, I had no idea who they were.....

As an example:
St. Kitts and Nevis Red Cross Society is launching an appeal to citizens and residents in response to the launch of an emergency response operation by The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) for the islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama in The Bahamas, which were devastated by Hurricane Dorian.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would cost me more to fly down there...and since I don't walk so good...then what? So I took just about all the clad I've dug and gave it to a local charity who is helping out down there and then gave a more sizeable donation to the missions and rescue wing of the United Methodist church.

Want a double dog dare? Give this month's clad to your charity of choice who has a fund for the hurricane. Just the clad. When I was working with an orphanage in Uganda, I sent money to them Western Union. (I would not recommend that in this case, scammers are everywhere.) It was a lot cheaper than mailing the mosquito nets to them. I have good connections going back years to that orphanage, so know it's ok.

We can't fix it all, however, we can help one person today. I saw reports of perhaps hundreds of bloated bodies lying around in the Bahamas. Will probably go into the thousands. In the Carolinas, it's mainly property damage.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.... 90% of the people lost their homes. No amount of water/food or generators are going to help. Unless you want to build them a new home and pay for electric to connect it's a waste of time and money. They need to go elsewhere and start a new life.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at aerial photos of parts of the Bahamas, and since there are tons of destroyed housing materials everywhere, it occurred to me there really is no where to put the debris. Eventually, after the rescue and recovery efforts are done, they may have to doze and burn it. I don't know.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They will just bulldoze everything into the sea. That will create a bonanza for archaeologists 1,000 years from now.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is that many of these "pop up" charities find it hard to pass on the remaining 5% balance after they take their cut. Please research who you are donating to so that what you give is going to the effort and not the fund managers.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

Last edited:

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
If anyone is in the Volusia County area feel free to drop of supplies at my place of business. Tuff Turf, 511 N County Road 415, New Smyrna Beach. We are a drop off for Volusia for the Bahamas. You can find us on Facebook. Due to tariffs reinstated donations will be limited to September 20. Feel free to msg me.

PLEASE NO PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY! RICE AND BEANS, BUG SPRAY, HYGENE PRODUCTS, PAPER PRODUCTS, PLASTIC UTENSILS, BABY PRODUCTS...

Thanks
DL

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread