Anyone hunt or live near Greeley/Ft Collins area?

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Arvada but if I ever get up your way I'll give you a shout. I'm just getting back into MD'g again after some time off. I'm not familiar with any specific sites up your way. I'm practicing on some school grounds around town between blizzards. I would sure like to hit some of the older schools around Denver but I don't want to get mugged. :icon_thumleft:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I live in Evans. Usually hunt alone but new to the hobby. There are several parks and schools here but as far as relics haven't had time to do research on old spots.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody up for a hunt Saturday 4/10? I can drive up to Evans. The weather should be in the 70s.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Do ya have anyplace in mind? I have only detected twice and both times just parks haven't had time to do any research on any good sites for relics or old homes.

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not near Greeley but up near Sterling and I GOT PLACES to do a group hunt

Ok guys. I am going to do something I probably shouldnt, but I will schedule a group hunt for all of us here in Colorado. Will make it a weekend hunt at a couple of places that I have permission to hunt. Old homesteads...trashy sites but boy do they have potential. They havent been hunted much..I have only hunted them a couple of times. But if you guys want to come hunt up here on the high plains. You are welcome. And you can camp out on the site if you want or you can rent a room at one of the motels in town.

No, I havent cherry picked the sites. But if you guys want to get together and hunt a couple of homesteads, this will be your chance. And I might just be able to get you a chance to hunt the drivein theather in town. Its been there since 1946. The owner is a good friend. I have hunted there a couple of times. Its not an easy hunt site.

Here are a couple of photos to wet your appetites. I have posted about the farmsteads before and about hunting them. I suggest it be a 2 day hunt but a 1 day would work too. IF you guys here are interested, I suggest in a couple of weeks. Let the weather get warmer. AND hope for the rain to hold off. No getting to the site if it rains. Except walking. I will post a thread about scheduling on my personal page here on TN if enough folks are interested and respond here.

Here are the photos of the 2 farmsteads.

Attachments

• homestead1.jpg
    homestead1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 255
  • homestead9.jpg
    homestead9.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 254
  • homestead22.jpg
    homestead22.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 252
  • homestead1.jpg
    homestead1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 244
  • homestead2.jpg
    homestead2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 245
  • homestead9.jpg
    homestead9.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 238
  • homestead22.jpg
    homestead22.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 230
  • homestead20.jpg
    homestead20.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 232

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing too. Anyone who goes on the hunt has to sign a waiver of responsibility. The owner is a good friend and he wont mind letting everyone on, but because of the inherrent risk in hunting old buildings and on sites like this, you do it at your own risk. Word to the wise.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally don't use the word "dude".

Dude, I'm in. I can do it either of the next two weekends if that works for you. I should have my V3i upgrade back by then too.

:headbang: :notworthy: :hello:

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to give folks a couple of days to reply and see how many want to do it. As far as what weekend, will depend on all the folks that respond. Will do a conference with all to determine the best weekend and go from there. Thanks for responding

Dennis

Jimbog said:
I normally don't use the word "dude".

Dude, I'm in. I can do it either of the next two weekends if that works for you. I should have my V3i upgrade back by then too.

:headbang: :notworthy: :hello:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Sounds like fun wish I could afford to go. I'd need to scavage enough camping stuff. Keep posting here on progress maybe I can make something work. Do you have a date in mind and is it a walk in or drive in and can we camp on site?

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was going to wait to provide this information later, but ok. Yea, if you want you can camp out on site. There isnt any water or electric but there is plently of clear space. No fires I am afraid unless you have a firepan to build it in to keep it off the ground. Too much chance of starting a fire, even if there had been rain.

Also, I might be able to let folks who want camp out in one of our houses on our place. Its empty, no one lives in it. Its clean, has electric with AC and Heat as needed. A full kitchen, table and chairs, bathroom with shower and hot water...but very little other furniture in the place. Sleeping bags needed. But otherwise, it would be spot to lay your head at night. I live just a couple of miles from the sites.

If I opened up the house for folks to stay in, dont want nothing but a donation to cover any costs like for heat or AC. Better than sleeping on the ground outside or a tent.

So if you want to come, thats an option maybe.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Not worried about camping out just not to enthoused about doing it alone lol I am working on seeing what equipment I can get to use. So far I think all I need is a tent now got a ok on a sleeping bag, inflatable pad (bad back), camping stove, I already have lanterns. Thinking of using my hauling trailer as a camper just getting a tent that will fit in it to keep me off the ground with the critters lol, I have a generator that I use for out in field for cutting metal and other work type stuff where there is no electricity. So now basically is whether I can afford the gas to and from. Would be 200 mile round trip approximatly but dang this sounds like something I really don't want to miss out on. Ah the hell with it I am IN depending on a date I will find enough scrap metal to get gas money.

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank1960 said:
Hey wait what risk? lol

Oh, like stepping on a nail, stepping in a gopher hole. :laughing7: Tripping over your own foot.

Or a whole house collapsing on top of your head. :dontknow:

Its a matter of just using common sense. I have nunted places these places a little, and others quite a bit. One thing you never do is hunt in or around an old building like these alone or without someone knowing exactly where you are at and the time you plan on returning. And the fact that there is some danger of injury any time you are around old buildings...well, there is some risk. Which is why anyone who participates signs a waiver of responsibility before they will be allowed on the property. Simple protection for my friend. Too many people are lawsuit happy today.

One thing I will have to request also, is that no one bring young children. I love kids, got my own, got grandkids too. But a place like these abandoned farmsteads, homesteads, etc, are not places to have kids running around. Imagine any way a kid could hurt themselves in or around an old collapsing building and they will and can do it, and do it in ways that you couldnt and DIDNT imagine. :icon_scratch: But someone bringing a wife, girlfriend or friend to have company isnt a problem. Just that they will also have to sign the waiver too if they are going to be on the property.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Oh those little things lol

So you "have nunted places" huh? How do you do that? lol

Are they going to get mad if a house happens to fall on me for knocking the house down? :laughing7:

I'm still in just working on a tent thing still. Thinking of making a full trailer tent out of PVC pipe and tarps for now until I can get better canvas for the cover of the frame made.

No other inquiriers yet?

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old_goldchaser,

What a great chance to hunt a great looking site. Depending on your weekend choice I would love to join you guys for the hunt. Would also love to camp at the site...

Just picked up a DFX 300 and still learning it, but not too bad of a jump from my XLT... Please let me know when and if this hunt will happen...

Thanks sooooo much,
Scooter

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok folks, if anyone here isnt monitoring the other thread, do so. The thread is "I am arranging a group hunt for Colorado TNer's." I have proposed a date for the group hunt. of the weekend of the 15th. Respond in that thread if you want to be involved. We want to keep the numbers fairly small but not too small.
Anyway, respond over there if you can go. Looking to be a good weekend.

Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread