Anyone in Upstate NY....near schenectady.......

R

Rich

Hello everyone,my name is rich and im lookn to see if anyone has info on
"Luna Park,Rexford Park,Palisades Park" in or around Rexford NY.....there were lots of names to this amusment park and was shut down 60 or 70 yrs ago.....if anyone is from around schenectady and has found the old park or even hunted in it,please tell me.also does anyone else live around Schenectady?..for yous that dont know Schenectady NY is a metal detectorists dream, 400 yrs of history in this region makes it great for coin shootin and anykind of detectin......but any info would be appericated...thx

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well a lot of places but many hithard already....I hunt the same ones many many times over and over and over.......since many are close by it never hurts I guess :).......well I have done the fields across lock 8 and know the owner of the farm house there also......I have hit all the schools.....scotia even small schools but not this yr....I hit them in the summer when they are out......make my rounds and good for a few rings and lots of clad........a few hundred at least...we will hook up and get some diggin the skeeters are real bad in the woods now

OP
OP
R

Rich

Hey Brian...finally got a scanner!...but heres some of my best finds for this year....theres a 1.School token "Bus/Trolly?"found in back of S.C.C.C,2.Sterling silver ring found in back of a buddy house on broadway in rotterdam,3.Silver cross found in the woods next to the kawanis boat launch"old stone bridge",4.Gold heart shaped necklace trinket with diamonds found at SCCC also,5.gold ring "beat up a bit" found at collins park,and my best finds for this year and my favorite finds are 1944 merc dime,the silver trinket with the chain,and 3 shield nickels with the dates1868,1876,and the 3rd is unreadable..the shields and merc and chain trinket were just pulled out of the ground saturday when it was pouring,those were found at fairveiw park in bellview...i couldnt belive it when i plucked those shields out cause they were almost on top of each other and for the park being built 40 or 50 yrs after the dates on the coins made me feel like a millionare!!!.....lol....i hunted that park many times,even when i had my whites spectrum 8 or 9 yrs ago i only found 30's-90's coins with no jewlery and with the bounty hunter pioneer202 ive found more older coins with lots of jewlery,.....i guess it was beacuse the ground was soaked and luck was on my side!....lol....by the way im gonna take a hike with my buddy who im tryn to get into detectn to the site i found along the bikepath,its quite a walk along the path to get there then you have to get into the brush,but im gonna check it out to see if a celler might be there,....if i have any luck ill tell ya the postion of it,.....hey to get those airel views i put up go to mapquest.com ,i use that now to try to spot sites....ill post one after this post where i might think another site is,id like to hear your opinion on it.....hey do you have any spare detectors for sale/trade....let me know.........rich

OP
OP
R

Rich

well heres one of the pics of one of the possible sites i found....you would know better on this one cause i havent taken the bike path that way in yrs and only really stayed near the boat launch,im gonna post a few more pics of other places...this one im postn is of "i dont know what really" along the highway to the boatlaunch...i found when i was lookn through the pictures....it might not be nothn but its strange...

OP
OP
R

Rich

ill save the other site i found for another time"plus it dosent come out on the airel pics at all",i want to check it out first to see if there anything there,....i do know that theres a old stone fence there "which you can see when you pass it on the highway along the bike path" but it just might be a old property fence/marker........when it get cooler out im gonna check it out....but when its 92 degrees out and you have asthma its not a good choice to go outside cause ill pass out....lol....i might be taking some scuba lessons and lookin into a underwater detector cause i might be visting my brother in flordia during the winter and the shores there are litterd with all sorts of treasure and whatnot,plus when summer comes around again next year and i do take scuba lessons,me you and my friend could go lookin for those lost canal barges and train wrecks in the mohawk "which will be cool".....im on SSi disabilty and im only 25 so i have alittle to much time to devote to detecting now aswell as lookin up local history so if you need any info on a piticular place here in schenectady ask me and ill find some info for ya....thx ...rich

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very well done Rich.......love the finds...they are sweet.....yes there was houses down at the stone wall your showing and talking about....I remember them before they rebuilt the road...5s use to run right in front of them.....I wanted to hit fairview park also.....give me a holler when your going again.....also my buddy sells detectors right in schenectady on sumner ave.....his name is Carl.....heres his web site......hes got everything you need and does trades also

http://www.upstatedetectors.com/

OP
OP
R

Rich

thanks,the shield nics are my best coin finds and will fit nicely into my coin collection,but for the house sites i gotta thank ya cause you got me interested findin um.,well defintly get toghter soon and hopfully well find a few untouched sites,the older the better.....we just gotta watch out for the wells"dont want to fall in and break a leg"...lol.,ill have to check out your friends web site,thats if i dont win a detector off ebay....what type of detector/detectors are you usin?and if you had a chance to pick would you get a whites or a minelab?..,im just seeing what everyone thinks of each brand...so any info would be great

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well theres a few sites I have not hit "HARD" but have hit alot in this area...as for the units....I have fisher Coin$trike-minelab xs-minelabxsII and the whites MXT I got a few months back.....I like the mxt for the price a great unit fast recovery being a 2 filter......the Minelab xs is top dog tho for me....I have gone into places I hit for yrs with a few units and always came out with more......the double DD coils are great in the ground up here..... carl has the minelabs so check it out and he may have a nice used one at a way better price too........the xs can be had a lot cheaper now with the explorer II out now......let me know when you heading out when it cools and we can try to hook up....the cellar holes are great for finds but tough now with the growth and this rain was a killer too. Heres a great ML site for ya to check out too.......HH Bri

http://209.83.132.74/metal/bbs/config.pl

OP
OP
R

Rich

cool,thx for the info on the detectors,...im gonna do some thinkin,but i might go for a new minelab explorer,plus im probly gonna go to your friend carl to get it when i get the money toghter..ive been doin some readin about minelab detectors and the things people say about them are pretty good...i was also thinkin about lookin at a Tesoro Cortes,have you had any experince with those units?, or should i just go for the minelab...when i was 13 or 14 i had a whites spectrum but i really wasnt able to figure it out plus i couldnt really go anywhere cause of no car or license and pretty much gave up detectin untill this year when i picked up the BH pioneer202.....plus since im a musician and know some about recording and sound freq's i can figure out what the people are saying about 5Khz and normalization etc etc.....i find it pretty facinating that the signal from the detector goin into the ground is basicly just sound freqs being bounced back to the detector...when i pick up my new detector im gonna buy a cheap one and hook a portable mixing board to it ....i figure that since most detecors are in the range of 1-20khz i could hook the coil wire to the XLR inputs on the mixer and have another wire from the mixer to the detector itself.....cause on the mixer i could tweek the Khz from 1-20,000 Khz and also pump up the depth by using the phantom power from the mixer itself,it would be a cool and intersting project to see what happens...but i gotta go through some coins to see what i want to sell,i probly have to get rid of my type 1 $1 gold pieces and a few key date pennys but im sure its gonna be worth it in the end,.....
oh ya forgot to ask...do you use a electronic probe/vibro/wand when ya hunt? i never used one and i mostly oldschool it with a small screwdriver and was wonderin if there worth the money......well im off to buy a new coin price guide and probly gonna look for some sites on the mapquest aireilviewer..if i find anything promising ill post it for ya...thx man,

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well let me see any coins you are going to sell first....coinshop or ebay may work but you let me know and see them and we just may work a deal on some ;)....the probes are fine I have had them all pretty much including the X1 for the minelab.....great probes....give me an email and I sent you one a few days ago....Bri- [email protected] send me an eamil....and Carl has anything and everything you could need and want at his house........you name it books....diggers..pouches....detectors......coils.......bags.........batterys........everything I tell ya

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I would kill for one of those coins here on the west coast! I did however, find a nice 1902 v nickel the other day quite by accident.
My dad live in NE PA and judging by the cellar holes I have seen, I think I know where one is up in the woods near his house. Maybe I'll have to hit it next time I'm up there. He also showed me where an old railroad camp was, but when we went to get permission to go on this property, the owners weren't home. I only had so much time back there, so I guess it will have to wait tilll next time I'm back east. Isn't is kind of spooky out there in the forest? I know there are black bears and now mountain lions up in this area. Kind of makes you want to hunt without headphones on.

OP
OP
R

Rich

hey coinshooter....dont feel so bad! it takes some time and alot of patience but youll find somthing,somedayyoull hit it big!...where about's around the west coast are ya? i use to live in Long Beach Cali for 2yrs when i was younger and unfortunitly i wasent to big into the hobby then and i sold my detector way before i left for there.....but ever since Brian told me about cellar holes around here ive been hooked into finding them!....and when he told me about one and i checked it out i decided to treck further into the woods and found a huge bottle dump aswell of what looks like another cellar hole,,but where they are we have to wait for the brush and all to die off cause its a jungle and the bugs will eat ya alive....lol....but talkin about spooky...theres some really spooky "SCARY" places right here in the area we live...one is Vale Cemetay which dates way back and is part of the nationally known Union Collage..Union collage though is very spooky as well as just frighting...like i said in my first post i want a pistol permit to venture there "murders and missing persons happen there"and as well as being a so called Hells gate and even a witch was burned and buried there in the 1600's...but it would also be a really nice place if the city cleaned it up really good for once cause it is a historical place....Charles Stimentz as well as other very famous people are buired there.....plus the other citys in the 20min vicinity of schenectady "Troy,Albany,Mohawk Valley etc etc" have a VERY RICH revolutionary war history aswell as a Early dutch history"early 1600's"....
But for out west where you are there should be alot of places for you to hunt...especially for nuggets!!!!!!!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, nuggets are a possibility, but they are as rare as hen's teeth these days unless yopu get into areas that have not been combed as much. One of these days I hope to get into some older ghost towns, etc. Unfortunately all the old cronies in our club who have done alot of the research and found and hunted alot of these places will take the info to the grave with them before they will reveal anything even within 10 hrs driving time from here. They have a wealth of knowledge, but hold on to it on the slim to none chance that they might get back there some day. I guess I can understand, but it sure is frustrating. I would be glad to take folks like this with me if they would just cough up one measley spot where they had found old coins in the past.
As far as the old parks, etc. I can sympathize with you. I was hunting with aq buddy of mine from my club in the canyons of a park here in San Diego and thought that I was ok, but also knew I was in an area that was frequented by bums and guys cruising for other guys. We looked up at the edge of the canyon where a walkway was and noticed someone looking at us from different vantage points. Eventually two guys came down into the canyon and gave us both the statedown like they were considering robbing us or ? Yuck! Needless to say, I have not been back down to this area of the park since. It sure is a shame that the cops can't crack down on the things that happen in our parks and what they have turned into.
There is a really cool article either this month or the previous one on cellar holes in W&ET (Western and Eastern Treasures).
We took a trip around the US when I was 15 and visited an area of the Mohawk Valley where my relatives were from. I can remember visiting one of my mom's uncle's who had an awesome old old house with the big white pillars on the porch that were somewhere like 20 -30 feet tall. This place was directly above the Erie Canal and had a road running next to the canal. The driveway for the house went down to that road. Like you, I was not into detecting then, but now that I know what I know, it sure would be cool to find this house again and detect it. It was apparently one of (if not, the first house) in the mowhawk valley. My roots go back to the Pallantines (sp?)/Pensylvania Dutch/ and Mowhawk Indian (somewhere back down the line).

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
palentines are not far from here :)..........

erie canal is right down the road from me also.....very rich in history here but getting built up and on fast......black top is non detectable and many ares are already under it.........I love the woods tho.......just very spacious to hunt but along the creeks is a great place to start.....many needed water regardless of where they went in the woods.......so creek hunting is cool............HH Bri
ps....I wish I could find some gold around here ;)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian,
Did you recieve my message? You might forward it on to Rich if you want to.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brian,
I checked my in box and haven't seen any new messages since I sent the one on Jul 21st. Just still interested.
CS

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a reply through Tnet here to your first one to me.........yes the site you mentioned is already well hunted for a few yrs strait now.....there are way more detectors out there then 10-20 yrs ago :)....thanx for the info tho and HH

OP
OP
R

Rich

Hey Brian,i left ya a few emails at your email address with a map attached to 1 email,get back to me...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions