Anyone Interested in HELPING?

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
Every year I try to donate my personal money to St. Jude and then when they have raffles I always try to contribute. Well money is a bit tight for me right now with my new semester coming up so I thought about raising a bit. If you aren't familiar with St. Jude hospital it is a cancer facility for children. Everything is completey free for the patients and families. St. Jude even puts the families in a room and feeds them. So what I thought was to take a few of my silver halves 90% or 40%, and combine that with silver halves that others would be willing to give (if any) and either sell them to a coin shop or list them on ebay (was going to see what everybody thought) and then send 100% of the money to St. Jude and list that it was from the great folks here at treasurenet. If anybody is interested please let me know. I just thought it would be nice to give something back. Thanks-Kevin

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Jeez, Kevin. I can't believe no one has responded to this. To play the devil's advocate, maybe some people think you're trying to scam them out of some money or something. I don't know. If I didn't have student loans, I'd help in a heartbeat. Maybe if you provided some insurance or proof that the money is indeed going to the charity, maybe maybe maybe more people would help. Again, I really wish I could. I guess CRHers are either poor or greedy or skeptical. I admit that right now I feel like all 3. Anyway, best of luck.

OP
OP
kevo

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
Yeah I agree and I figured that most would believe that I would be taking their money, understandably I guess. But really, how can you help others if all you think about is yourself? And that isn't directed towards you, I mean everybody as a whole. I figured I would post a link to the actual ebay item and whenever you donate to St. Jude they always send a thank you letter specifying how much was donated. Other than my word, there is no way to prove this is legitimate. I have student loans as well, but I am thankful that I have lived long enough to even experience college. A lot of those children will not get that chance. I do appreciate you replying though. It really struck me as odd that there wasn't one reply, not one. It's really quite sad. Trust me, I am not in this to make money off of anybody, that wouldn't go to well with my Faith. I am simply a college kid trying to make all of the difference I can. I am in school to go to the medical field and my girlfriend graduates in december for radiation therapy and will be working at Kosair Childrens Hospital. Thanks again-Kevin

PanManStan

Mar 5, 2007
Milwaukee
Hey Kevo,

I am definitely in. I am an R.N. myself. And as being a male nurse, I am used to people being skeptical. I.E. when I tell people I am a R.N. they think only women or gay men are nurses, I am neither. I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. But, what I think we need here is to get St. Jude's in on this deal. How about having St. Jude's put an address or link on their website which can be referred to here in this post. I think this would ameliorate some of the worries of those here who think you may be trying to get the coins for yourself.

This would be an overly-simple task for St. Jude's to do. Also, as a not-for-profit organization, I'm sure they could get the USPS to allow them to send out a "No Postage Necessary" envelope for those who pledge coins to send in their donated coins. I'm not sure how these N-P-N envelopes work, but, maybe they could send one for every 2 or 3 coins you are donating, or one big one if you are donating like ten coins and so on. And after a designated period of time, the donation drive ends, and they (St. Jude's) sell the coins on eBay (charity auctions ALWAYS do good and would most definitely be a featured auction).

The results could be posted here, so as to inspire those who donated. And if it caught on, we could try to break the last years record, every year.

St. Jude's is one of the most important orgs out there. I hate to see children suffer. Thats why I chose to work in the Med/Surg area of nursing. I don't even like riding by the Pediatrics floor in the elevator. Really. When I see the light for that floor light up as I ride the elevator up or down, it reminds me of the kids on the floor, and I die a little inside every time.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Anyway, why don't you contact St. Jude's, tell them what you have in mind, and let us know. I'm sure lots of folks here would be more than happy to donate, if they knew for sure their donated coins were going to the hospital and not some random guy.

I'm in for a few Oz's of Fine Silver 999+ bullion rectangles.

Let me know what you find out. Or if you want/need help let me know.

Raoul Duke

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevo, your idea is a noble and honest one. I have no doubt you mean well with your OP. What is unfortunate, is that the impression is being put forward that anyone who doesn't reply is less than charitable, which you obviously didn't intend.

Charity never comes off well when it's solicited, despite all good intentions. It's a personal, private thing to some people. Your proposition didn't fall on deaf ears, so don't get disheartened if you don't get as many responses as you thought you'd get. We have a generous bunch here, we're just not shouting it from the rooftops.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Well said, Immy.

And Kevo, I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Your endeavor is truly noble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread