Anyone interested in joining me? 2-3 month M.D./fishing trip

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I want to preface this post by saying Iā€™m still a newbie when it comes to this site, as well as metal detecting in general...

Iā€™m going on a 2-3 month vacation next spring to either the Outer Banks, NC or Florida. I plan on spending my time beach/shallow water hunting, fishing, and relaxing. Iā€™m still working on all the trip details (Iā€™m basically in the research/planning stage lol), but I have taken the first big step by upgrading my AT pro to a CTX 3030. I had planned on making this a solo trip (none of my friends can take that much time away from work or family), but Iā€™m wondering if anyone on treasurenet might be interested in joining me? Iā€™m either gonna get a travel trailer to stay in or rent a cabin at an RV park.
Iā€™m divorced and my youngest son just graduated high school and starts college this fall, so for the first time since becoming a father 21 years ago, I have the time to travel for more than a week or two at a time. I would have a good time going solo, but it would be cool to have someone interested in metal detecting and fishing to hang with.
In the meantime, Iā€™ve got time to learn the CTX 3030 and plan the trip. I would love some advice or tips from any of you more experienced diggers out there.... best beach to hunt, lodging advice (travel trailer vs cabin), CTX beach tips, etc.
Iā€™m really looking forward to this trip. My oldest son is gonna house sit for me while Iā€™m gone, but I may end up just staying for good. The idea of having the ocean, beaches, and saltwater fishing within minutes of my home sounds like a dream come true to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds like a Great Vacation! I hope you have a fantastic time!

Kace

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kace. Iā€™ve dreamed of living near the ocean my whole life. I had my first kid while I was still in college, so I got married and my priorities shifted. I love being a dad and wouldnā€™t give up that part of my life for anything, but Iā€™m excited to start the next ā€œchapterā€. I spent 2 weeks digging the beaches of the Outer Banks in 2016 with a buddy of mine (RIP Ed) and loved every minute of it, though all I found was some clad. My buddy found a cool silver brooch. Canā€™t wait to actually have enough time to learn how to properly metal detect a beach/shallow water. I had fun in the Outer Banks, but I had no idea what I was doing. ��

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a real adventure coming your way. The CTX 3O3O is more than capable of handling salt water and wet sand. If you are going into the water make sure that all of your connections are water tight. You might be able to meet more Tnet members on a trip like that if you were to invite them down for a week at a time. Good luck with your plans.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy to have a visitor for 1 week. Especially if they are experienced beach hunters and can give me pointers. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll meet other ā€œdetectoristsā€ while Iā€™m there either way. I wish there was a metal detecting club near me.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I donā€™t expect someone to give away their ā€œhoney holesā€, but if any of you experienced beach diggers could recommend a good beach for my trip it would be appreciated. Iā€™m thinking either Treasure Coast area in Florida or the Outer Banks, but Iā€™m open to other suggestions.

ColeBen

May 21, 2018
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Master.
Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnā€™t absolutely love to be able to go, the second best thing to going is waiting to see your finds on your trip. Remember to keep us updated! I hope you have a great time.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hoping your finds are many. fa0a5d5c48d53e9ff935902019f3994c.jpg Good luck.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet. Hope you have a very rewarding vacation. Enjoy water hunting.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wind up in the outer banks NC the beach area just North of Corolla has miles & miles & miles of open beach to hunt. Its so vast I'm sure some of it has never seen a M.D.Here is a pix of that area.Good luck. 188.JPG

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of ya and I appreciate the suggestion Roger. Iā€™ll keep it in mind. The OBX are beautiful. During my 2 week stay in 2016, I took my F150 4x4 out onto the beach near Duck, NC and managed to get stuck as high tide was rolling in. The waves were breaking 1/2 way up my tires by the time I got it unstuck. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it really sucked. (...of course my buddy was laughing his a$$ off at me the whole time. lol)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of ya and I appreciate the suggestion Roger. Iā€™ll keep it in mind. The OBX are beautiful. During my 2 week stay in 2016, I took my F150 4x4 out onto the beach near Duck, NC and managed to get stuck as high tide was rolling in. The waves were breaking 1/2 way up my tires by the time I got it unstuck. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it really sucked. (...of course my buddy was laughing his a$$ off at me the whole time. lol)

Also look at Sandbridge VA. Half a year ago I spent a week hunting the beach there.Not another metal detector-er there in sight,
>> https://www.sandbridge.com/ 026.JPG Sandbridge VA. At the most southern tip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any luck there Roger?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was interested till I read and found that you are not a 28 year old female supermodel and rich

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope...
100% middle class, ugly, overweight, heterosexual, 42 year old , American man here.

Though I hope to find a friendly female or 2 on my trip.

Too bad metal detectors donā€™t help me locate women...

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a...wait for it...Model Detector. šŸ˜›

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! :hello2:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they help me, females flock to me when I am detecting on the beach

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only been on 1 beach hunting trip and it was the OBX in winter.

There werenā€™t many women around.

... come to think of it, there werenā€™t many people around at all

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any luck there Roger?

Found a lot of junk at sandbridge.Found a piece of copper sheathing 6" down on the beach.Could a come off anything. But, 087.JPG it Could a been copper sheathing for outer hull protection on a 1700s English ship. 012.JPG

Started off good .First day,first hour 008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread